Second Skin Audio

Box Design for two DC Lv4 12s

Hey all, wanted to try my hand at designing a box for two DC Lv4 12s because a friend mentioned he may pick up a pair. It wasn't designed to be vehicle specific, as I don't have the knowledge for all of that. It's a basic box, so can others look it over and give comments? Wanted a flat response, low F3, and to have minimal port noise, used a formula Ram posted up to find a good port area for these two woofers (not sure if I did it right, so if you read this Ram, please tell me lol)... Woofers given power by a DC2k.

Torres- Box3.png

Response Chart- Box1.png

Port Velocity Chart- Box2.png

Please comment, appreciate it!

Bassless once again. Can't seem to keep a system for more than a few weeks :)

Saving for a '06 Nissan 350z, look for build around June 2012.

little too big imo, dc's like a little smaller boxes, i'd personally try somewhere around 3-3.5 cubes

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

Boxes based upon DC's specs have relatively high F3s. 1.75 cubes tuned to 30 has an F3 of no lower than 28.

A 2 cube box with the same tuning has an F3 of around 25 - 26 IIRC.

Ray, fecoupe, and a few others have all suggested boxes for this sub that are larger than spec.

If I weren't a lazy ass, I'd build a box even bigger than that just to see how it would react.

You would think as low as my box is (28) I'd be digging deep as hell. I don't.

EDIT: I thing after displacement I have something like 1.42 cubes. I doubt .08 of a cubic foot is going to make a large difference.

All that said, I'm going to STFU, sit back, and try and learn something.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

yea each sub is recomended to have 1.5^3 so it looks to me that your box is waaayyy too big

I'm not looking for what's recommended (no offense) :)

And Kid, I've never had experience with them (or any DC woofer) so I'll take you word for it and keep it in mind.

More comments please.

Boxes based upon DC's specs have relatively high F3s. 1.75 cubes tuned to 30 has an F3 of no lower than 28.

A 2 cube box with the same tuning has an F3 of around 25 - 26 IIRC.

Ray, fecoupe, and a few others have all suggested boxes for this sub that are larger than spec.

If I weren't a lazy ass, I'd build a box even bigger than that just to see how it would react.

You would think as low as my box is (28) I'd be digging deep as hell. I don't.

EDIT: I thing after displacement I have something like 1.42 cubes. I doubt .08 of a cubic foot is going to make a large difference.

All that said, I'm going to STFU, sit back, and try and learn something.

That's the reason for the size of this enclosure, I wanted a low F3 and with a smaller enclosure couldn't get it to model up well (I'm a noob), and I've seen Ray, Fecupe, and the others mention using a larger enclosure.

Are you saying your box is 1.42ft^3? Don't you have a DC Lv4 12? I posted a design a while back with a flat response and a low F3 similar to this box, need to mess with the port area but your free to use it, if you'd like. Not sure if it would fit your dimensions though

That's the reason for the size of this enclosure, I wanted a low F3 and with a smaller enclosure couldn't get it to model up well (I'm a noob), and I've seen Ray, Fecupe, and the others mention using a larger enclosure.

Are you saying your box is 1.42ft^3? Don't you have a DC Lv4 12? I posted a design a while back with a flat response and a low F3 similar to this box, need to mess with the port area but your free to use it, if you'd like. Not sure if it would fit your dimensions though

Yup. Since then I've also tossed around a few numbers as well. But, like I said, I'm lazy and don't want to actually build the box. LMAO.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Archived