How to set different ohms with dd-1

I've wondered this as well because if you use the calculation for voltage, you will differ in settings depending what your impedance is. for instance..a 1600 watt amp @ 1ohm, your voltage is 40 ( 1600 x 1= 1600 then sq root of 1600 is 40), but if your running that amp at 2 ohms, your voltage will be different.(1600x2=3200 and sq root of 3200 is 56.56), right? So this is a difference in settings.

Here's the chart!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/14666-calculating-gain-voltage/page__view__findpost__p__224232

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

the only thing that will change when you do that is the gain "overlap".

if you change the impedance to 1 ohm from 2 ohm, it should get louder (if the amp is designed to go that low). If it gets too loud to quick after making the changes, use a different track on the setup disc. For example, at 2ohms, your bass might not have been as loud as you liked so you used a -15db track to set the gains. You drop to 1ohm, now your amp is putting out more power. You might want to think about setting it with a -10db track if thats the case.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

The DD-1 has nothing to do with setting A specific output voltage. The DD-1 finds the maximum unclipped/distorted output of your amp. The output voltage and impedance do not effect the amps output as far as clipping goes (assuming your electrical can keep up with the amps demands).

If you are worried about the output of your amp being too high, set it with the DD-1 to find your maximum unclipped output, the use a DMM to adjust your gain DOWN to whatever voltage you need.

Edited by MrSkippyJ

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

the only thing that will change when you do that is the gain "overlap".

if you change the impedance to 1 ohm from 2 ohm, it should get louder (if the amp is designed to go that low). If it gets too loud to quick after making the changes, use a different track on the setup disc. For example, at 2ohms, your bass might not have been as loud as you liked so you used a -15db track to set the gains. You drop to 1ohm, now your amp is putting out more power. You might want to think about setting it with a -10db track if thats the case.

and to MrSkippy...

Ok, now this makes more sense. I was more curious as to how yo can have different voltages, yet DD-1 sets it at one particular point. I can't adjust mine yet...sadface. :drinks:

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

and if your amp is only 50rms over the speakers rated, you dont need to worry about that..

if we were talking a 100rms speaker and a 500rms amp, then sure..

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

why wouldnt it be?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

you're off. regardless of load the gain should be set the same.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

If you used the same subs and amp ran them say 8 ohms the gain would more likely be set higher verses running them at 2 or 1. Or do I have just the wrong idea completely?

that is tricky there. you aren't really asking the right question.

You don't adjust your gain to match impedance. You adjust your gain to match the INPUT voltage. the lower your INPUT voltage, the higher you set your gain and of course visa versa.

The ohm load your amp sees changes the output of the amp. For example, 8 ohms is 100 watts and 4 ohms is 200, 2 ohms is 400 and 1 ohm is 800.

With a DMM you set the output voltage so that it equals the wattage you want. (V/I²=W). Doing it this way has nothing to do with clipping. Setting your amp this way just sets the gain to what the output of the amp is supposed to be. You have a 1500 watt amp at 1ohm? Set the (gain) output voltage to 38.7 volts. If you hook up an 8 ohm speaker to that amp, the output of the amp goes down but the output voltage stays the same.

If you wanted less output from your amp, you would set the gain accordingly. (for example, you have an amp that is way too powerful for your speakers).

The DD-1 doesn't set output voltage. The assumption using the DD-1 is you want the maximum unclipped/undistorted signal coming out of your amp. It shows that point with the light. Even if you don't want maximum output from your amp, you can still set the gain to that and go down from there. Either way you would know you have a clean signal coming out of your amp.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69