Welding Cable?

The Knu on the Left is the OFC wire.

didnt say it wasnt i said some brands. but where i live i rather pay 65 bucks for 25ft of welding cable than 135 of the copper aluminum mix and only get 20 ft from the car audio shop

Team DBs (Driven By sound)

techforce_teamdbs.gif

welding cable normally doesnt have as many strands as wire such as knu wire's 5000 something strands. i read somewhere that voltage travels on the inside of the wire while amperage travels on the outside of the wire. with audio wire amperage is more important because you only have 12-18 volts to work with so the more strands help transfer more amperage. i doubt theres significant difference.

also in the link you posted the orange ultraflex cable says it has 4 times as many strands as the standard cable which has 1026 so it should have 4104 strands which is pretty good.

This thread has some good info on cable and i just wanted to make a correction so hopefully misinformation doesn't get spread around.

Voltage does not travel through wire. Current, or amperage, travels through all parts of the wire. However, i think this post was referring to what is sometimes called "the skin effect." When current travels easier on the surface of a conductor due to easier movement of electrons in the surface structure of a the metal.

Edit: forgot to mention that the skin effect doesnt really matter in a car audio environment. The effect is due to eddy currents in the surface at high frequency of AC current. DC doesnt make a difference

Team NorthWestSPL

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason welding cable is thinner because it has a lower strand count (less flexibility)?

In which case, if you don't have any tight radius turns, you would be better off (current transfer wise) getting the 2/0 welding cable of 1/0 car audio wire?

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

When it comes down to it welding cable is rated for welding 0-800+ amps depending on gauge... its not as flexable or tin coated... so use silver bearing solider and heat shrink (couple of layers) when doing terminals. But I have used both 1/0 audio and welding grade copper cable and noticed no performace differance from either just that the audio having lots of fine strands is eaiser to work with... btw I'm running 1/0 welding cable in my trunk now as power/ground wire works great not a complaint from here jmo hope it helps

Kenwood KIV-BT900

Front Stage

RF 400-4 Runs off dedicated 4 awg ofc

RE 6.5 125.5.

Lanzar Max Pro 6.5

Boston S60 6.5 components

Rear

Soundstream BX-15

4x Sundown SA8 v1.5

Crescendo BC3500D

2.4 net 28hz

4 runs of 0 gauge

Big 3

HC2400

700ca up front

Singer 350 Amp Alt

No deadener :/

Scytek Galaxy Alarm

When it comes down to it welding cable is rated for welding 0-800+ amps depending on gauge... its not as flexable or tin coated... so use silver bearing solider and heat shrink (couple of layers) when doing terminals. """"But """I""" have used both 1/0 audio and welding grade copper cable and noticed no performace differance from either""" just that the audio having lots of fine strands is eaiser to work with... btw I'm running 1/0 welding cable in my trunk now as power/ground wire works great not a complaint from here jmo= just my opinion hope it helps

Lol... No performance difference? Some people should be banned just on false info... There is a performance difference between copper and copper clad aluminum... Don't cheap out on your wire... My true 1/0 AWG welding wire is just as flexible as other shit... And its really copper, not tinned or clad...

303505_237504932952530_100000790758292_592757_5742560_n.jpg

Maybe you should read before you going wearing your pants like a hat... and who said clad anything? Lots of audio cable is coated in tin so it won't corrode and btw... that's by the way my welding cable came off a roll that's been sitting in a barn for 30 years yes real copper thick jacket the US didn't start using copper alloys or copper plating in mass untill 1982 by the way I work in a metal foundry so if you want to talk quality with me you might want to have google ready.

Have a nice day :)

Kenwood KIV-BT900

Front Stage

RE 6.5 125.5.

Lanzar Max Pro 6.5

Rear

Soundstream BX-15

4x Sundown SA8 v1.5

Crescendo BC3500D

2.4 net 28hz

4 runs of 0 gauge

Big 3

HC2400

700ca up front

Singer 350 Amp Alt

Scytek Galaxy Alarm

Double post

Kenwood KIV-BT900

Front Stage

RE 6.5 125.5.

Lanzar Max Pro 6.5

Rear

Soundstream BX-15

4x Sundown SA8 v1.5

Crescendo BC3500D

2.4 net 28hz

4 runs of 0 gauge

Big 3

HC2400

700ca up front

Singer 350 Amp Alt

Scytek Galaxy Alarm

So the welding cable will corrode? I'm confused now... Lol.

2001 is300Headunit: JVC KD-X50BTHighs/Mids: StockHigh/Mids Amp: NASubwoofer: DC Audio LV4 12"Subwoofer Box: DLDesigns Box tuned to 32HzSubwoofer Amp: AQ 2200DElectrical: NA Performance:SRT Racing intake with ECUHKS Super Dragger 2BC Racing Coilovers

BC 264 stage 2 cams

full head build with BC Valves, Retainers, and springs

Dezod Green Race Header Comming soon/Thinking about<p>Electrical: XS power under the hood (Suggestions Welcome)​Performance: BC Cams,Cam gears, maybe GTE Swap down the lineMy YouTube Channel Subscribe and i'll return the favor!Xbox Live Team Website.My First Official Box Build.My FacebooK

here comes noob time, whats the best type of wire, ofc, cca, i dunno if theres anymore ? but what one performs the best ?

Pioneer deh-80prs2 10" Tantric Sounds HD's Ported Box Tuned to 33hzSoundqubed 3500.1Hertz HSK 165Tantric Sounds 6.5" Coaxials80sq ft of MurdermatXs Power D3400 & D3100

Sky High Car Audio Cable Throughout

Archived