Sonic Electronix

Why so much dislike for Kicker?

I had a bad experience early on in my Audio life with a Shop- guy would play nice when you walked in the door, then when he found out you had equipment other than KICKER!! he would bash the hell out of you, tell you all your stuff was crap (like my Carver Eqs and McIntosh tweets) and proceed to try to sell me Kicker 6x9 subwoofers for $120 each. Jerk. Same deal with many people I have met who run Kicker gear. "Kicker Isobaric subs hit twice as hard! It is like having 2 subs instead of one- because it is a Kicker Isobaric!" -moron: he was so far off base, I couldn't even start to properly inform him to correct his idiocy. I have NOTHING against the product (I have a crossover and some other Kicker stuff somewhere), but the shops, consumers, and the way they market and sell- well, that is a whole different story. :shrug:

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

It's got more to do with the people who run kicker then the actual brand itself.

The people who tend to run kicker and run their mouth talk like their shit is the best on the planet when it's mediocre at best.

Not to mention overpriced for what you're getting. (with the exception of the warhorse if you buy it from the right place. 10kwatts for under $2k isn't bad.)

not too worth it.

DC 9k is under $2k also. Much better amp.

^ this is the most common thing on this forum. Theres much more out there than DC, the forum should be changed to SMDC. There is no positive feedback on anything else when compared to DC. Also all the "little guys" out there have no room learn because they start getting equipment bashed.

Kicker is a solid brand with a solid reputation and costumer service. You dont start a franchise that last as long as kickers been around by building crap and not getting the job done

Did you read my other posts or did you just assume I was a nuthugger because of the post you quoted??

Cuz if you would have read my other you would have seen that both me and a teammate ran both the Warhorse AND the DC 9k and both saw gains from a direct swap. So that's user experience talking.

Have you ran either of those amps?

Do you have any experience with those amps to null my statement.

Also, if you would have read my other post you would have also saw that I said they make good product. It's just that their pricing isn't where it should be.

TEAM FLEX ISSUES

Car: 1985 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royal

24" Rims

HU: 7" Carputer, Planet Audio EQ, iPhone.

Coax: T3 Audio 4" speakers

Subs: 2x 18" T3 Audio TSNS (walled)

Sub Amp: DC 9k

SOON TO COME

T3 Audio 6x9s

MB Quarts 6.5" comp set

MAYBE ADDED

2nd DC 9k

It's got more to do with the people who run kicker then the actual brand itself.

The people who tend to run kicker and run their mouth talk like their shit is the best on the planet when it's mediocre at best.

Not to mention overpriced for what you're getting. (with the exception of the warhorse if you buy it from the right place. 10kwatts for under $2k isn't bad.)

not too worth it.

DC 9k is under $2k also. Much better amp.

^ this is the most common thing on this forum. Theres much more out there than DC, the forum should be changed to SMDC. There is no positive feedback on anything else when compared to DC. Also all the "little guys" out there have no room learn because they start getting equipment bashed.

Kicker is a solid brand with a solid reputation and costumer service. You dont start a franchise that last as long as kickers been around by building crap and not getting the job done

Did you read my other posts or did you just assume I was a nuthugger because of the post you quoted??

Cuz if you would have read my other you would have seen that both me and a teammate ran both the Warhorse AND the DC 9k and both saw gains from a direct swap. So that's user experience talking.

Have you ran either of those amps?

Do you have any experience with those amps to null my statement.

Also, if you would have read my other post you would have also saw that I said they make good product. It's just that their pricing isn't where it should be.

I never stated YOU as a nutthugger. I said YOUR STATEMENT was the most common thing done on this forum. Yes i have heard the DC 9k and it is an impressive amplifier never heard a warhorse but it looks rediculous. Im just saying that all i see anymore is DC ftmfw, even when someone states a choice between 3 chosen subs(not including dc)EVERYONE says why not a DC lvl blah blah blah.

I was in no way trying to sell you out as an individual, only the quote you made.

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

LOL, it is really all I can do to not go into this in much more detail but honestly discussing Kicker on an enthousiast board is pointless. Kicker has fallen into category of products that you use whatever you get the best price on, nothing more. This board seems to be about specialty brands that mean something, brands that enthousiast care about. Brands like Kicker with 20,000 products on Ebay for pennies over dealer cost are not brands that I can get excited about. It is what it is and it cracks me up that people get defensive about meaningless brands. Many of these brands started out as specialty brands but once they got to a certain size most of them moved their focus from innovating to building something that "works" as cheaply as possible and any of that effort/money that went into innovation is now shifted to marketing.

There are a couple of old school audio companies that have remained small and focused on innovation but most people I talk to have never heard of them, funny how that works. Then there are the new specialty brands that are coming on the scenes, which is what this forum is all about.

I am a music enthousiast so I would describe Kicker as any of the chinese build guitars out there, cheap Fender strats, Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey, Ibenez etc. They all work and get the job done but you never hear people arguing about which statacaster knock off is better than the other, that would be a waste of energy because WHO CARES! Now if you are talking about the many quality guitars, like Gibson, USA Fenders, PRS, Taylor, etc, these are guitars that people care about, get excited about, and function like a peice of serious equipment should. Oh ya, and they are not sold on ebay for dealer cost, lol.

Daewoo Leganza with Commodore 64 installed in the dash.

Personally, I like Kicker. Most people don't like the fact that it's mainstream, but in the car audio world (referring to stuff like this forum), Kicker is NOT mainstream. That's kind of what I like about it

Also, having had a SoloX 12 and a SoloX 18 in my Jeep Wrangler, I would've agree that they do sound muddy and not very good. HOWEVER, in this new setup, my box is about half the size it was in my Jeep, and my CR-Z is just as loud if not louder than my Jeep was. It also sounds MUCH better. Surprisingly good for the SoloX. I believe that those who think the SoloX sounds bad have yet to hear a setup that was done properly

ForumAvatarcopy.jpg

2011 Honda CR-Z Mugen

12" Kicker SoloX Subwoofer

Rockford Fosgate t20001bd

Pioneer AVIC-X930BT Head Unit

Build Log

a few people on our team ran warhorses, none of them could get loud with them...they swapped out for dc 9k's and gained. Ray also went through this on a guy he has done work for, they had a Tacoma running a warhorse and it just was not performing #s wise, maybe he can speak on that if he wishes to.

The subs sound like junk. Solo Xs can get loud tho, we got a guy out here running 2 Solo X 10s in a daily setup and he does like a 150 db drag style I believe.

For the right price I would run a zx series amp, or the older SX series which were pretty nice

One problem with the WarHorse is you have to feed it power. If you dont do that its not going to put out.

98 Chevy Blazer 4 Door

Stock Everything

The New Setup

1 - Pioneer AVH-P5200DVD

1- Pioneer DEH-80PRS

2 - Blues Audio 5.25 Mids ( On the dash )

2 - Blues Audio BL8.0C Components ( In the front doors )

2 - Blues Audio BL8.0 Woofers ( In the rear doors )

1 - Linear Power 952 ( Dash )

1 - Linear Power 2202IQ Modified ( Components )

1 - Linear Power 3002 ( Rear Doors )

1 - SoundStream XBP-10 Processor

1 - SoundStream BX-20Z

2 - SoundStream DTR1.3400D

4 - RE Audio SX12D4

241543L22m9xYv.gif

I used to run two cvr 10s on a kicker kx600.1

It sounded alright but not where I wanted them to be,I switched them up to two sundown 8s and they sounded a lot better and they got loud on the low power that I had on them (same amp) till my amp blew,

Gave up on kicker

I had two kinetik hc2400s on a dc 270alt,for the people that want to know what kind of electrical i had

I replaced it with. A aq1200

Got better results and hadn't had a problem ever since

Idk why but I gave kicker a 2nd Chance.I wanted to try their warhorse,so I bought one.

When I installed it first thing I noticed

Was static noises in my subs,I knew that wasn't good.hit up my buddie cj18,because he had experience with these amps before,he said that was normal,I was like wtf,how the fk is that normal lol.

Anyways didn't have time to return it or do anything about it because I had a show coming up the next day

Did a 145.2 out of the trunk

first two trys were a 140.4,140.5 because the stupid gains were backwards on that amp,realy??

2 aa mayhem 12s

320 mechman alt

Xs 1200 in front

4 xs 3100s in the back,I was like wtf really

I wanted to re run,but couldn't because the amp got my subs freaken hot as fk on the 3rd burp.

I put my malibu in the garage and waited till the next show which was db drag in forbidden fantasy.

My dumbass wanted to test them before the show so I did,played juicebox for like 14seconds and the amp blew the triple joint on 1 of my subs,the other one it ripped the sub's surround.still competed like that but I was like wtf AGAIN,

called my aa dealer asap,ordered new recones and I was up and running in less than 2weeks,from there I didn't want to deal with it anymore,

Sold the amp and went with the dc 9k,big ass difference!

Got my subs to get 147+

Easy,didn't bother to try changing the box

I had was only for 5k

Walled my malibu

And its getting me 55+

On meca

If kicker's amps were that okay,they should of finished their warhorses,the amp is garbage IMO,

My friend Doug had to make a custom filter to take the static noise out really.he shouldn't!!

Idk,if I'm the only one that had bad experience with kicker but damn I wouldn't use their products on any of my rides ever again

Also I got videos of the amp fkin up on me in the lanes

TEAM FLEX ISSUES,TEAM DC AUDIO

2000 Silverado Ext 1500 v.3

(Walled Silverado)

4 DC Power 270a Alts on A DC Power Quad Alt Bracket

XS Power VCM,Stinger Volt Meters

4 AA Mayhem 18s

2 DC Audio 9.0ks Strapped

1 DC Audio 175.4

4 Selenium 6.5s & 4 Selenium 8s

4 Selenium Super Tweeter st350s

72 SQ Ft Of Stinger Roadkill Expert

Alpine CDA 9887

XS Power d3400(Hood),6 XS Power d3100s(Bed)

& much more.....

2011 Meca CA State Champion & State Record Holder In M5

Meca SPL:158.2

Meca P&P:137.4

DB Drag:159.1

USACI:161.2

BUILD LOG.....YOUTUBE CHANNEL.....FEEDBACK

My set up for the competition

2 aa mayhem 12s (trunk system sealed off from the cabin)

1 warhorse,

1 320amp mechman alt

1 xs power d1200

4 xs power d3100s

My first meca run with the warhorse

Meca run#1

Meca run#2

They didnt record my 3rd new score but i ended up with a 145.2

Forbidden fantasy

team bass hertz sam flores put a lot of duck tape to put the surrounding back in place

DSCF3402.jpg

took out the tape so you guys can see what happened and what i had to cover to still compete

DSCF3405.jpg

DSCF3407.jpg

DSCF3404.jpg

DSCF3406.jpg

TEAM FLEX ISSUES,TEAM DC AUDIO

2000 Silverado Ext 1500 v.3

(Walled Silverado)

4 DC Power 270a Alts on A DC Power Quad Alt Bracket

XS Power VCM,Stinger Volt Meters

4 AA Mayhem 18s

2 DC Audio 9.0ks Strapped

1 DC Audio 175.4

4 Selenium 6.5s & 4 Selenium 8s

4 Selenium Super Tweeter st350s

72 SQ Ft Of Stinger Roadkill Expert

Alpine CDA 9887

XS Power d3400(Hood),6 XS Power d3100s(Bed)

& much more.....

2011 Meca CA State Champion & State Record Holder In M5

Meca SPL:158.2

Meca P&P:137.4

DB Drag:159.1

USACI:161.2

BUILD LOG.....YOUTUBE CHANNEL.....FEEDBACK

Archived