Second Skin Audio

Interesting results with port extensions....

Okay, so you might remember my idea, for being able to add extensions to each of my ports to drop my tuning from aprox. 35 hz, to close to 26 hz, in just one minute, whenever I wanted to ?

Well, this evening, I went on and cut them, all three at 19", and then made little couplers, with the scrap. So, I was going to sand, and paint them (they are PVC and I want them black) but then I got to thinking, maybe I should test them out first.

And so, here's what I found out;

When I put on all three extensions, yes, it did, in fact, increase a few of the deepest notes, on a couple of my techno bass tracks > However, it did so, at a pretty big sacrifice, to anything higher, "even other fairly deep bass notes" in those same tracks !

So, I then removed just one of the extensions. Theoretically, this would increase my tuning from 26hz, to 29'ish, or so.... And guess what ? It barely hurt those deepest notes, but it helped the other bass notes in those same tracks a LOT !

Next, I removed another of the extensions, which should have raised my tuning from 29'ish hz, to about 32 hz, and now it was getting really "musical" ! Sure, those deepest notes suffered, but for the most part, the techno bass tracks still sounded pretty darn good, and regular music sounded the best it has with my new setup yet ! > Better even, than with no port extensions at all.

So what this all tells me, is that the default tuning of my box (without extensions) of about 35 hz, is a little bit high, meaning that I will probably run one of the port extensions pretty much all the time, for that most musical tuning of 32'ish hz. But if I'm playing some techno bass tracks, (want a deep bass fix) I'll put on a second port extension, for 29'ish hz tuning.

In a nut shell, with no extensions the box is tuned a little bit high. All three extensions is just a bit too low. So, I'm going to go on and finish two of the extensions (sanding, and paint) tomorrow morning, and then this phase will be a done deal.

Next is adding two more mid-bass drivers (easy) and two more sets of component mids/highs (pita).

Fun stuff though

Peace,

Fish

PS, I'll post a shot with one or two of the finished port extensions added in a day or two.

15157410.jpg

Okay, so you might remember my idea, for being able to add extensions to each of my ports to drop my tuning from aprox. 35 hz, to close to 26 hz, in just one minute, whenever I wanted to ?

Well, this evening, I went on and cut them, all three at 19", and then made little couplers, with the scrap. So, I was going to sand, and paint them (they are PVC and I want them black) but then I got to thinking, maybe I should test them out first.

And so, here's what I found out;

When I put on all three extensions, yes, it did, in fact, increase a few of the deepest notes, on a couple of my techno bass tracks > However, it did so, at a pretty big sacrifice, to anything higher, "even other fairly deep bass notes" in those same tracks !

So, I then removed just one of the extensions. Theoretically, this would increase my tuning from 26hz, to 29'ish, or so.... And guess what ? It barely hurt those deepest notes, but it helped the other bass notes in those same tracks a LOT !

Next, I removed another of the extensions, which should have raised my tuning from 29'ish hz, to about 32 hz, and now it was getting really "musical" ! Sure, those deepest notes suffered, but for the most part, the techno bass tracks still sounded pretty darn good, and regular music sounded the best it has with my new setup yet ! > Better even, than with no port extensions at all.

So what this all tells me, is that the default tuning of my box (without extensions) of about 35 hz, is a little bit high, meaning that I will probably run one of the port extensions pretty much all the time, for that most musical tuning of 32'ish hz. But if I'm playing some techno bass tracks, (want a deep bass fix) I'll put on a second port extension, for 29'ish hz tuning.

In a nut shell, with no extensions the box is tuned a little bit high. All three extensions is just a bit too low. So, I'm going to go on and finish two of the extensions (sanding, and paint) tomorrow morning, and then this phase will be a done deal.

Next is adding two more mid-bass drivers (easy) and two more sets of component mids/highs (pita).

Fun stuff though

Peace,

Fish

PS, I'll post a shot with one or two of the finished port extensions added in a day or two.

15157410.jpg

do you plug the other ports when not in use?>

Loudness is no substitute for musicianship, and partial deafness is no badge of honor. I was once able to hear this advice.

Build Log>>>

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...pid=672024&

New Build

Believe in the order

Good question, but definately not.

What happens, is that when you have multiple ports of different lengths, what you end up with, is the tuning of what the "average length" of those ports works out too.

It's right along the same lines as when you have a slot ported enclosure with a slanted face...

The top of a port exiting the slanted face, might be 24", while the bottom of it is 32" (just for an example). So theoretically, the port acts as if its 28" long.....

And along these same lines > theoretically < I could chop off all three port extensions to 12", and the tuning should be exactly the same, as it will be running two, at 18" each. In other words, not using one of the port extensions will reduce the porting by 18"..... chopping all three of them off by 6", will still reduce the porting by 18" :)

Peace,

Fish

What happens, is that when you have multiple ports of different lengths, what you end up with, is the tuning of what the "average length" of those ports works out too.

It's right along the same lines as when you have a slot ported enclosure with a slanted face...

The top of a port exiting the slanted face, might be 24", while the bottom of it is 32" (just for an example). So theoretically, the port acts as if its 28" long.....

And along these same lines > theoretically < I could chop off all three port extensions to 12", and the tuning should be exactly the same, as it will be running two, at 18" each. In other words, not using one of the port extensions will reduce the porting by 18"..... chopping all three of them off by 6", will still reduce the porting by 18" :)

Peace,

Fish

:puzzled:

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

94Retta, thank you.

Why not aero ports ?

1) 6" aero ports are like $30 each ! Would have been $90 just for my ports ! These cost me $8 each at home depo. Marketed as riser pipes.

2) The masses use aero ports. Whatever the masses do, I almost never do.

3) I wanted to be able to adjust my tuning.... Which, as I explained below, I can, and will. But instead of going from no port extensions, to three of them, I'll probably most often go from one extension, to two of them.

I think it's kind of lame to be constrained to one specific port tuning, especially when I listen to so many different types of music. One port tuning does not fit all.....

Peace,

Fish

That setup looks really nice!

Why not just go with areo's and tune it to 31ish and be done?

Chevy, gets some good rest, and eat your wheaties when you get up, and then it will all start to make sense :) LOL

Peace,

Fish

Peace,

Fish

Chevy, gets some good rest, and eat your wheaties when you get up, and then it will all start to make sense :) LOL

Peace,

Fish

Peace,

Fish

:finger:

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Ive seen a 3db gain from just 1 flare.

Just sayin

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz