Sundown Audio

Amp clipping indicators ???

Fish Chris

The problem with clipping indicators on an amp is that while they're generally accurate, they don't tell you what is clipping.

For instance, you can be amplifying a clipped signal from a HU or processor. So while the lights on the amp will go out b/c the amplifier isn't clipping...you're still clipping.

To do things right you have to have some sort of indicator for every component upstream or test every component upstream to see where/if it clips and then rely on the lights of the amp. Generally, most higher end HU's will not clip their outputs. The sine wave might look slightly different at MAX, but 1 tick down on the volume and it's a perfect wave. Start messing with the EQ, bass boosts, and whatnot and that wave may change into a clipped signal. Same goes with an EQ. If you adjust your EQ for +3dB at a certain freq, you're are effectively asking the amplifier to double its power at that freq. See where I'm going with this?

It'd be nice to have some sort of "idiot light" to tell people they've gone too far. This would have saved thousands of speakers & subwoofers from the landfill. But it's not the end-all-be-all nor is it a suitable replacement for using an o-scope to set up your system.

Now if you asking for two indicators, one for clipped input signal and clipped output signal, now we're talking. I do not know of any amp that has that and I think that would be a great feature for DIY'rs and lazy installers.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I'm talking about clipping for individual songs, and volume / bass control levels. No matter how perfect your gains and everything else is set up, you can still clip your music, by pushing it too hard.

if you have the DD1, you find out what the max volume you can play at before 1% distortion and while you do that, you can play around with the bass levels to find out the highest you can go with those as well. and no, if your gains are set perfect you cant "clip your music by pushing it too hard" the only way you will clip by this point is if your voltage drops too much, or youre playing dirty music. so really, if you set your gains with the dd1, dont play above the volume and bass levels you have figured your system starts to clip at, have good voltage and dont play clipped music, youll never have to worry about it.

now if youre worried that your music isnt clean, then i understand what your saying. but its not because youre "pushing it too hard"

Alpine CDA-9886Hertz Mille 3 ways active

Hertz SPL Show 8's

2 Audison Voce Quattro's2 DC Audio M2 Level 5 12'sDC Audio 12.0KKnuKonceptz Wiring4 XS Power D3100'sDC Power 390XPSecond Skin Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Xtreme

Esy3YgK.jpg

@ Bluliner

if you have a clipped input, your amp will be clipping no matter what. so the clip indicator will come on.

Hertz SPL Show 8's

2 Audison Voce Quattro's2 DC Audio M2 Level 5 12'sDC Audio 12.0KKnuKonceptz Wiring4 XS Power D3100'sDC Power 390XPSecond Skin Damplifier Pro and Dynamat Xtreme

Esy3YgK.jpg

But I'm talking about clipping for individual songs, and volume / bass control levels. No matter how perfect your gains and everything else is set up, you can still clip your music, by pushing it too hard.

if you have the DD1, you find out what the max volume you can play at before 1% distortion and while you do that, you can play around with the bass levels to find out the highest you can go with those as well. and no, if your gains are set perfect you cant "clip your music by pushing it too hard" the only way you will clip by this point is if your voltage drops too much, or youre playing dirty music. so really, if you set your gains with the dd1, dont play above the volume and bass levels you have figured your system starts to clip at, have good voltage and dont play clipped music, youll never have to worry about it.

now if youre worried that your music isnt clean, then i understand what your saying. but its not because youre "pushing it too hard"

You're wrong for the same reason you don't set your gain with a -15db tone and then go listen to Decaf.

@ Bluliner

if you have a clipped input, your amp will be clipping no matter what. so the clip indicator will come on.

Wrong. All the amplifier is looking at is whether or not the amp is being overdriven. It doesn't "see" the waveform.

Go put 'swing my door' on at low volume. Bet you it won't tell you its outputting a clipped signal. But the waveform is still flat.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

You're wrong for the same reason you don't set your gain with a -15db tone and then go listen to Decaf.

@ Bluliner

Wrong. All the amplifier is looking at is whether or not the amp is being overdriven. It doesn't "see" the waveform.

Go put 'swing my door' on at low volume. Bet you it won't tell you its outputting a clipped signal. But the waveform is still flat.

quoted for future use lol

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

how am i "wrong for the same reason i dont set my gain with a -15db tone and go listen to decaf"? im sorry, but what you said doesnt even make sense to me, please explain. what i said is wrong because when you play a track recorded at -5 db when your gains are set with -15 db, youll clip? thats the reason what i said is wrong?? how? what did i say that was wrong? i set my system with the 0 db tracks. so when i do listen to decaf, where will i have problems??

Hertz SPL Show 8's

Esy3YgK.jpg

Hmmmm.

Interesting thread. I dunno', but all I can say is, if I push all 5 ch's on my RF P1000 to "right before" any of them start to show the red flicker, it sounds freaking great (not that their isn't some small amount of distortion already happening... in fact, of course their is) but once I get into strong red flickering, the system starts to get a little harsh, and that's when I get nervous about damaging equipment.

BTW, Maticus or anyone, do those Kicker amps (like the one in your avatar) have a clipping indicator similar to my P1000 ? > Are those 8 little leafy shaped things on the front center LED clipping indicators ? Love my RF amp.... but would not hesitate to buy a Kicker.... or Sundown... or Soundstream... or any other reputable amp the next time around, if it fit the bill, and the price was right.....

Peace,

Fish

So, you take a sweet a$$, reputable, expensive amp like this > http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_21958_Kicker-ZX1500.1-10ZX1500.1.html

.....and it doesn't even have a single, stupid little clipping indicator light on one end of it ??? WTF ?!?!?

Am I like the only guy on the planet for whom clipping matters ?

This is effing killing me !

An amp without a good (preferably up front) clipping indicator, just flat out won't work for me. It's just a total deal breaker.

I guess the manufacturers don't want you to know when your clipping, so you will blow more $#!+ up, and come back to them to buy more. I just won't buy it in the first place.

Yea', this kind of pisses me off.

Fish

damoreengineering.com/Products.html

90 Nissan 240sx

Avic z-140bh

Audison SR4

Audison Voce 6.5s

CDT es-20 tweeters

Sundown 1500v3

(2) DD 9510's

3 cube box 2 6" aeros

XS Power D2400 & Xp950

Skyhigh/Knukonceptz/Rockford Fosgate wiring

More Coming Soon.. Check my builds below.

97 Civic Hatch Build

86 Caprice Build

you can pick up a chick in a car... I think it'd be hard to roll up mackin on a broad sittin on a sundown. My opinion

As was already said, the clipping indicator on amps are a part of the output rail. When you push the amp past it's max clean output, it will light up. There is one MAJOR problem with relying on this method; It doesn't go off if the input signal is clipped, only if output rail voltage limit is exceeded!

Chances are you won't have a clue where to set your peak volume on your head unit at all, so there is hardly a point to have a clipping indicator that doesn't show you when your preamp stuff clips.

What everyone is trying to tell you is that you can never be sure your whole system is clip free unless you can check every piece of your equipment. Be it with a scope or a DD-1, you need to check your head unit for max volume, and check out anything in the line before your amp (such as EQs, processors, crossovers etc. Anything that goes in between the head unit and the amp) before you can accurately rely on your amp's clipping indicator. That being said, if you possessed a scope or a DD-1 to tune your head unit and amp with, then you wouldn't need a clipping light.

Clipping indicators are neat, but they are practically useless.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Archived