Mechman Alternators

Can a h/o amp run off an underdrive pulley?

Just what the title says. My pulley underdrives about 10 percent. It's a smaller pulley though so can a h/o run off that?

EDIT: I obviously mean Alternator in the title, not amplifier. I was posting on my phone, I guess I wasn't paying attention :pardon:

Edited by jconnway

If you mean alt instead of amp, then yes you can although mine squeals awfully towards redline and I know its not belt slip. I have an underdrive on mine because my alt is just a POS rewound.

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

why would you want to run an alt on an underdrive pulley? turning it slower would be the last thing i would want it to do

1969 Chevy Chevelle

20/22" staggered Bonspeed Huntingtons wrapped in Nitto INVO's

Mechman 250amp cs144 alt w/AVBM

Kinetik 1800 main battery/Kinetik 2400 in the trunk

Pioneer AVH-3200dvd Headunit

(2) sets of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine components up front

(2) DD 3512's d4 coils

Sundown sax100.4 component amp

Sundown saz-3000d subwoofer amp

5ft^3 box tuned to 34hz

MY BUILD

why would you want to run an alt on an underdrive pulley? turning it slower would be the last thing i would want it to do

Well thats what I'm asking. I have the stock alt on now with no voltage drop and sparse upgrades (Big 3). I am even running a stock battery, and at full tilt, there is almost no drop. However, my system isn't very powerful at the moment but I did come across these underdrive pulleys by unorthodox racing for my accord. I'd like to get a little extra power out of her, because the K24 is quite an engine when its worked.

I just was curious about the possibility of a bigger alt on a smaller pulley.

Well thats what I'm asking. I have the stock alt on now with no voltage drop and sparse upgrades (Big 3). I am even running a stock battery, and at full tilt, there is almost no drop. However, my system isn't very powerful at the moment but I did come across these underdrive pulleys by unorthodox racing for my accord. I'd like to get a little extra power out of her, because the K24 is quite an engine when its worked.

i see what you are saying now, but you have it all wrong. an underdrive pulley will turn the alt slower, resulting in less power being made, what you are wanting is an overdrive pulley to turn it faster

1969 Chevy Chevelle

20/22" staggered Bonspeed Huntingtons wrapped in Nitto INVO's

Mechman 250amp cs144 alt w/AVBM

Kinetik 1800 main battery/Kinetik 2400 in the trunk

Pioneer AVH-3200dvd Headunit

(2) sets of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine components up front

(2) DD 3512's d4 coils

Sundown sax100.4 component amp

Sundown saz-3000d subwoofer amp

5ft^3 box tuned to 34hz

MY BUILD

i see what you are saying now, but you have it all wrong. an underdrive pulley will turn the alt slower, resulting in less power being made, what you are wanting is an overdrive pulley to turn it faster

i believe what hes saying is he wants to get an UNDERdrive pulley to get a little more power out of his engine and hes asking if it will affect the output of his alternator. the answer would be yes it will affect your idle output but probably not by very much. and maybe it would be possible to get an overdrive pulley for your alt to counteract the underdrive pulley on the crank

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

6Berry - you got it.

zx10intn - you have a nice ass chevelle bud. and yeah, your right, I know what they do, I was just talking about counteracting the affect of a minor underdrive on the alt pulley. I tend to lean towards what 6berry said here though. I don't seem to have any kind of change at all as far as voltage goes with these underdrive pulleys. The dyno results for this exact pulley is +8 hp so it seems like a good investment.