Sundown Audio

Cooling Amp in Sealed Trunk

OrionStang

look around your boot, should be area to let air pressure out. use fans there to suck out or blow air in. plus a few fans blowing to 1 side.

on mates car we got 1 side sucking out, other blowing in,then fans blowing to the other side to be sucked out.

might work..

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

You can get a normal cpu type cooling system for like 70$ it basicaly has a in and out like, i would cut that use little clear tubing that fits in the case "heat sinks" on the amp and run some colored liquid threw it! That would be down right sick.

It would have to be copper or aluminium tubing running inside the amp,through heat sinks no less but some clear tubing outside with regular antifreeze (green) and a small black light would look pretty slick, you should try it retta I wanna see.

Oh i would never run it inside a amp unless i had better tools to do it correctly. I way meaning the amp case itself which on a amp is the heatsink.

I would love to try it. I dont even have that large of an amp yet tho. Haha

My 175.4 gets fairly warm when i use it, it isnt as bad as it used to be when it was flat on my old sub box. What i did to mine was put it on the back side of my subwoofer box and the put it on 2x2's and then on rubber feet so it would cushion the shaking of the box when the subwoofer hits. Mine only has a slight amount of heat where the DC logo is, the rest of the amp is cool. One thing you can do but would get kinda costly would be to find some micro pc fans that are around the size of those little openings on the bottom plate of the amp and mount them to it and cool them off with that and get bigger fans to push air through the openings on the outer edge of the amp. What i would do if mine kept its heat like yours would be to get some 2x2 (i used a riser for an outside deck and stapled the carpet from my enclosure to it to make it look good) and see if it helps, if that doesnt help try to get something like maybe a 4-5" DC fan for each corner of the amp and have it centered on the little lip that the amp has on its sides. Make it so the air will push toward the middle of the amp from each side and so that it is pulling air from the outside of the amp into the middle. If that still doesnt work get some small fans, like 1-2 inches (something like a xbox 360 fan or something similar in size) and put them on the 8 openings that are on the bottom plate of your amp for extra ventilation. This should deff help it out.

Also, im not sure if you have it since it wasnt mentioned, do you happen to have any sound deadner on the top part of your trunk or rear deck? If you dont i would suggest to possibly put some up there to stop the heat from penetrating through the metal and heating the trunk up as fast and as hot as it is now. It does work because for the coverage i got on just my rear lift gate holds back heat pretty well. Normally when the back of my truck was in the sun before i put the ss damp pro on, the inside panel would be very hot to the touch, after i put the ss damp pro on it, the inside panel would barely be warm.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Don't suck in air from the outside of the car. You'll dust and dirt everywhere! I would get a pusher and puller fan, blowing air onto the board will help a little but you really want air to blow across the heat sinksboard and pull heat from the fets.

AAAADBMVGn0AAAAAAUIwqg.jpg?v=1301900343000

Ghetto as hell, but you can pick these up at Walmart for $15 AND they're 12v DC fans. They're loud as shit but at least your amp will stay cool until you find the right fans & have time to install them properly (use a relay). Then, repackage the fan and return it to Walmart within 30days and exchange it for a case of beer.

AAAADBMVGn0AAAAAAUIwqg.jpg?v=1301900343000

Ghetto as hell, but you can pick these up at Walmart for $15 AND they're 12v DC fans. They're loud as shit but at least your amp will stay cool until you find the right fans & have time to install them properly (use a relay). Then, repackage the fan and return it to Walmart within 30days and exchange it for a case of beer.

bahaha that's awesome!

Archived