Sundown Audio

Cooling Amp in Sealed Trunk

OrionStang

^^^ i just literally lolled at that post. thank you for the 2am laugh. trink40.gif

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

*akon voice*

when your liveing in the ghetttoo in the gheettoo

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

My ddm4s starting thermaling after I switched to 14v batts so I had my amp guy put some fans right on the output section of the board had to lose the bottom plate cause they stick out a lil but now my amps are kooool

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

As for liquid cooling, the whole reason it works with computers is there are waterblocks (a block that has irigation inside it that sits directly on top of key components so not sure how that could work in car audio, or rather who would be the first willing to try and make there own).

As for fans go, they come in all shapes and sizes some as you can see here http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l1/g36/Fans.html?id=fS6AskaN. Not saying buy them from there, just trying to give you guys an idea of sizes.

May be stupid but I wonder if you could modify a laptop cooling system for an amp.

The cooling in laptops is not the greatest, due to allot of the fans used in them are pretty much garbage then comes the part of modding the heatsink used in the fan.

May be stupid but I wonder if you could modify a laptop cooling system for an amp.

You can, just don't expect it to last very long. Laptops don't have to deal with a subwoofer system trying to destroy everything around it. Even larger 4" DC fans have a limited lifespan in a trunk w/lots of bass. A squirrel cage is probably the most robust in a car audio environment.

Archived