Second Skin Audio

Too much enclosure volume?

So ever since I got into car audio I have been sorta starved for knowledge... the things I have done, which are rather few, have been huge upgrades in short amount of time with little trial and lots of error.

Basically, I have 2 15 inch sundown nightshades that got butchered and I got totally ripped off, but that's a different story. I was wondering if you can have too much box volume, other than runing your subs with too much power and not enough back pressure. My box eariler today was 15 cubic ft. net tuned at 28 hertz. I was modifying my port length so I busted that out and now I have a total of 17 cubic ft. net tuned at 55 hertz.

Breakin it down.

15 ft3 @ 28 hz - peaking 130 db

17 ft3 @ 55 hz - peaking 129 db

Stock alt

Kinetic 2400 red battery

91' astro van

deadened roof and back doors

Please no hate comments I just simple want some info on enclosures and I'm strapped for cash pretty hard, extreme case of ballin' on a budget.

Yeah you are like double your enclosure volume and tuned way low

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

its like playing ur subs in free air. not good for them. too much box volume puts too much air on the under side if the cone and will mess them up over time. or at least thats what i thought and was told.

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

its like playing ur subs in free air. not good for them. too much box volume puts too much air on the under side if the cone and will mess them up over time. or at least thats what i thought and was told.

Not trying to be an ass, but OP is trying to learn something and telling him something that you don't even know to be true is worse than better, it just causes confusion and such later on.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Think about it like this. The box size is where you create the pressure for the cone. As the sub moves in and out it builds pressure inside the box. There's no specific number but usually 1-1.5 for a ten, 2-2.5 for a 12, 3-5 for a 15, and 6-9 cubes for a 18. Those are only vast ballparks and of highly depends on the sub and power you use. But in general going much bigger then those sizes you no longer build the back pressure needed. If you get bored take a sub and hold it out of the box and a decent volume level. Whole playing put it inside a enclosure and you will actually hear the box work you could say. Just pay ray 15 bucks for a box design and call it fuggin done.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Not trying to be an ass, but OP is trying to learn something and telling him something that you don't even know to be true is worse than better, it just causes confusion and such later on.

well am i way off? he did ask "if you could have too much box volume." i was just saying what i was told. if i wrong correct me please. im not trying to be an ass either. i was just passing along advice. please correct me instead of just telling me that im wrong, if im wrong. just sayin. im learning too. lol

2 DC 12" lvl 4s

1 DC 1.2k

XS Power S3400

big 3

Alll KNU wire

Pioneer HU

cheapo Legacy coaxes (just for now)

dc-audio-you-should-get-there-is-no-try-just-do-thumb-1.jpg

Hey Notoriousj, it sounds like you are kind of bouncing around aimlessly.

The very best advice I can give you, is to just talk to the manufacturer of your subs first. Find out what the "optimum" cubes for your subs are (given the type of music you listen to most... although this info won't change the optimum cubes by very much anyway)

Then find out what the best porting sq inches would be, followed by port length, for your tuning frequency.

Then build your enclosure accordingly.

If your decent with math, and can build it exactly to factory specs, it will hit as good as it possibly can !

Easy as can be :)

Peace,

Fish

Ok thanks. Before I had this setup I had an orion hcca 15 in 8 ft3 total. Sounded almost as good but I traded it for these subs, and they are only single coils. I got lied too and didn't notice how "not loud" they were untill later when I put a multimeter on them and got no reading out of the other coil's terminal on each.

If I put 4 15's in there do you think it would be sutible? Or should I just build another box and up my wattage? I'm trying to save money and be as loud as possible. Also, I prefer low tuning. 33 hz probly on my next enclosure.

Hey Notoriousj76, before we go any farther, are you sure your enclosure is 15 cubes ??? ...even after sub and port displacement ? This is REALLY huge, for an enclosure, "other than" a walled vehicle. So I guess you have this in a large SUV or a van ?

~~~~~~~~

Anyway, I typically decide on what subs, and how many, "then" build the box to optimum specs for those subs. But if you really do have 15 cubes (net) to play with, yes, actually it probably would work well for four 15"s. You'd still need to model them, to figure out your exact porting. But probably doable.

Peace,

Fish

Ok thanks. Before I had this setup I had an orion hcca 15 in 8 ft3 total. Sounded almost as good but I traded it for these subs, and they are only single coils. I got lied too and didn't notice how "not loud" they were untill later when I put a multimeter on them and got no reading out of the other coil's terminal on each.

If I put 4 15's in there do you think it would be sutible? Or should I just build another box and up my wattage? I'm trying to save money and be as loud as possible. Also, I prefer low tuning. 33 hz probly on my next enclosure.