Very weird voltage drop..........

About a week ago i finally invested in a voltmeter. really only for show now since im only running 500w but what the heck right?

noticed some random voltage spikes that went down to the mid to low 12volt range and narrowed it down a bit and to tell the truth i am very confused to say the least :trippy:

on startup and for the majority of driving voltage is fine at 14.3-14.4 volts

drops down occasionally when i

-shift into gear (anything besides park or neutral)

-sometimes its only for a few seconds, sometimes i have to rev it to get back to the 14v range and then it will stay there

-brake while cruising down road

i drove to school with the stereo paused so no music has been playing and this still happens.

ANY IDEAS AS TO WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE CAUSING THESE VOLTAGE DROPS??????

i will record a few vids on the way to school tomorrow and put em up after class to try and show this a little better

Thanks for any input!!

-Andrew

Edited by KickerKid58

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

4 RF Punch 6.5" Components

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D

XS Power XP950 +&-run of XScorpion 1/0 OFC My Civic Build

Check and see if the belt on the alternator is not sliping, and make sure the wire going from the alternator to the battery is good.

Edited by AdamTheAudioMan

UNDER-CONSTRUCTION

''Old School Build''

maybe it sounds like an 18 cause theres 3 fucking "port" holes ghetto drilled in the "box"

190 db when your done?

Yea that's the lowest decibal ill be satisfied with when I'm done like I said its stage one and I lost my job u guys should consider shit instead of just talk it

lmao

'99 Honda Civic lx. i have the grounds half of the big three done just gotta get some wire sheathing for the + run to the alt. ill try and see if i can look at the stock wire tomorrow tho.

and the alt should be fine. car only had one owner who was an old lady who babied it (still only has 45k miles :santa: )

and im 95% pos my lil 500 watt amp wouldnt kill. lowest ive seen it dip on full tilt is 13.4v

Edited by KickerKid58

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 DC Level4 12"

Soundstream TA1.3000d

4 RF Punch 6.5" Components

2 RF Punch 3.5" 2-ways

RF Prime 400.4D

XS Power XP950 +&-run of XScorpion 1/0 OFC My Civic Build

what kind of car do you have? some cars will drop down to 12.6 volts when there is no strain, like dodges and some other cars.

:orly3:

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

The engine rpm probably drops below the alternators "turn on" rpm. Most Alts won't put out almost anything untill they reach a cirtain rpm. If the engines rpm drops below what the car would idle at, that means the alt could just not be putting out any current.

fiaq3-1.jpg

2000 Subaru outback 2.5l

Head Unit: Pioneer deh 4300ub

front stage: tbd

subwoofer: Stock Fi Q 18"

amp: Audio que 1200d

what kind of car do you have? some cars will drop down to 12.6 volts when there is no strain, like dodges and some other cars.

:orly3:

yep. ever ride in a dodge magnum? Voltage drops to 12.6 at idle and wont rise until you step on the gas. Ask any alternator maker or owners of newer Dodge vehicles. Even newer Tahoes have them too i believe

Usually when braking. Letting off throttle, using power Windows. Voltage drops.

Having the a/c or heat on usually drops voltage but for me in a Bonneville. It keeps it at 15.4 constantly

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*