Measuring power by Clamping

TonyD'Amore

very interesting! Still kind of confusing though. So the clamp method won't work even if you're not using a reactive load? It sucks that method isn't accurate...

clamp method now seems to be :bull:

No, clamp the same as before, you are still calculating apparent power at a given time, which is average power. If you know the power factor, efficiency, that is real power.

And that is the problem; Very difficult to measure phase angle which is needed to calculate power factor. Not happening with a clamp and a fluke.

But with a scope you can.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

What people may not have thought about is that this will be a complete game changer in the world of audio now when this gets released cause no manufacturer can hide from true provable facts on what an amp is capable of providing. I thank you from the bottom of my heart cause now we all will get ratings closer to real world outputs of a companies product.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Perfect, Tony.

Clamping an amp wired to a sub works for competitors, they need to roughly measure power (reactive) for efficiency tuning. Whenever you see a power figure using this method it only accounts for that particular setup (batteries, amp, subs, connections, etc). Amplifiers are loaded with resistive banks for power output measurement.

this is one good read, to bad my brain hurts now,

Pioneer deh-80prs2 10" Tantric Sounds HD's Ported Box Tuned to 33hzSoundqubed 3500.1Hertz HSK 165Tantric Sounds 6.5" Coaxials80sq ft of MurdermatXs Power D3400 & D3100

Sky High Car Audio Cable Throughout

Tony D' has the uncanny ability to explain some of the most complex topics in terms that anyone can grasp. Guys - sometimes it's not all about a demo - we all know one plus one is two. Do we really need two apples on the desk in front of us to believe it? BECAUSE some of this stuff requires a complete understanding, many companies over the years have taken great liberties in their performance claims. After all, if we don't know the facts, how could we challenge them?

Always, remember the following:

-If it seems too good to be true, it probably is

-The laws of physics are not just really good ideas, they are LAWS

Study your math! Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming with Dr. D'. I'm tuned in too - I can't tell you how many things he's taught me over the years.

Thanks Snafu!

So the major point I am taking from all of this is that ALL amps are going to disappoint us on the AD-1, is that it? Basically it is going to show us lower than we were expecting from all our favorites? Am I reading into this correctly?

Kickin' Cruiser

Seller Feedback

Stage 3
Dash, Door Panels,
4th Order wall 4 - 15's
on a DC 5.0K 2 DC 5.0K's

Solo X 15 (v.2) Sub Build

Archived