Looking for "actual" sound deadener comparison reviews....

and PLEASE, nobody post a link for that damn "Sound Deadener Showdown" < this is just another brand of sound deadener, and the comparisons they use on their website are completely biased.

I'd LOVE to see the results of a vehicle (or at least 1 door of it) treated with a particular brand of deadener.... A frequency sweep played loud outside of the vehicle, and a DB meter used inside the vehicle, to see exactly what that material blocks. Next, rip out that brand of deadener, put in another, repeat.

In other words, ALL BS asside....

I know they all work, but which ones are REALLY the best value ?

BTW, everyone always says Dynamat Extreme is SO expensive..... yet when I compare prices of DE (in bulk packages from SonicElectronix) I find that it is right in the middle of the price range for all the other popular sound deadeners.

I'm expecting to spend between $300-$400 on materials, to sound deaden the roof, and all 4 dr's of my F150.

To reiterate, UNBIASED comparisons wanted....

Fish

Exactly. When I did my comparison I kept price out of the picture because I was able to get a lot of these product for WAY less than their MSRP. Just do some shopping and you can get them for cheap.

Just keep in mind that placement of all of the equipment and products have to be consistent time and time again. So if anyone does decide to try this testing method I would suggest marking an area on your door with a Sharpie or something to insure you get the material applied in the same spot for each product.

So I'm in this thread to see where it goes... definitely interested. :)

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

heres just a price comparison of some of the different options (from james)

Second Skin Damplifier 40mils $3.12 a sq ft

Second Skin Damplifier Pro 80mils $5.10 a sq ft

Audio Technix 60mils $2.12 a sq ft

Stinger Roadkill 80mils $3.08 a sq ft

RAAMAT BXT II 60mils $2.40 a sq ft

you win some, you lose some

I'm in for the ride.....you should do it Fish, see if you can get samples...its a thought?

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

Bump this back up.

I've been talking with a lot of people recently about this... anyone up for the challenge (the challenge being coming up with a repeatable and fairly accurate testing method and collecting samples)?

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

The simplest method to compare the data sets would be to select the "200 Hz Interpolations" and plot them as a function of temperature...maybe...

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

someone needs to do this!

interesting :popcorn:

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

Hmmmm....

Okay, how about this >

Take any, old beater car. Rip off the inside door panel. Use some sort of tape to cover all areas that will be deadened. This will make it WAAY easier to remove the deadener, after testing is finished for each brand. Blue painters tape would be great, but that $#!+ is expensive !

Set up the term lab in the car (like maybe in the seat, right beside the sound deadened door) and get busy.

Obviously you would need to play the same stuff (probably test tracks, and frequency sweeps), at the same volume, for each test.

Now of course doing all this would be a TON of work for somebody like myself..... But if you already owned a shop, and a termlab, it doesn't sound too tough at all to me.

Hmmmm,

Fish