Second Skin Audio

what happened?

I finaly got the dc xl12 playing. on a dc 5k wired to 2 ohms. My box was 49long 10 deep and 19.5 high cut into 2 chambers wich is close to 2 cuft per sub(was only running one. Port was 17 long 1 wide and 15-16 deep(L shapped) tuned to 35 if my cals where right. At 2 ohms the 5k does a little over 2000 watts before box rize. alt was stock 160 amp. Anyways it seamed not to be all that loud so added the hiphop setting on my ipod. Them it blew after 20 min of playing( bass boost was off, head unit was every very low on bass also). I bought the xl used could it have just bin the fact that it was used and ready to go? How about my port on my box. I think it might be a little small? Since im reconing already would 15s be worth it? How much louder could a 15 be over a 12(if my box is good I would rathet keep it, I suck at boxes and it came out nice looking). And I have never reconed. Yes I would like to learn but dont know if ill be any good at it. Should I just send it in?

well first of, you turned the EQ on on the ipod. also, dc amps have a clipping light on the bass knob which you obviously need to look out for so you dont do what you just did. was the light on constantly when you blew it?

Edited by Kranny

I would have to say it was the iPod settings. The way the iPods decode the sound isn't the greatest, and when you add in the eq to that you get a nasty sound file. I would honestly send the sub in if it is your first time doing a recone. I would honestly try your hand at a redone on a cheaper sub. That way if you mess up you went as pissed.

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

I read the clipping light was BS, so I didnt even plug it in :DI kept on messing with It because it didnt seam lound enough. I know that a good portion of loudness has do with the box and port size does this my port sound ok size wise?

The clipping light may not be 100% true, but it is a good indication that you have the gain too high. I would plug it in ant trust it. It will save you money down the road.

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

I run my kicker l7 in my yukon with the bass boost setting in wich is higher then the hiphop setting and my head unit is at 3+ on bass out of 6. And ive been running it like that for a year now. Thats why I thought a little boost would not do much in turms of cliping. I think it might have just been a old sub, got it on ebay for 250 shipped. It was probably ready to go

By the way like I said as of now I only have 1 xl, looking to run 2. Should i keep it reconed at 1ohm. With the 5k or switch it up on the ohm load.

Edited by Mha

He said the gain was less than 75% without mentioning the input voltage. Gains were most likely set nowhere near correct, and I am curious if in fact the amp saw a true 2 ohm load nominal. How was your voltage? 160 max amps would have an issue holding stable voltage for 20 minutes, let alone 1.

I wonder if the amp saw a different nominal ohm load and the gains were turned up to compensate.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

Sorry guys, im new to all this but thanks for your help. No I dont have a volt meter. So I dont know if my alt was keeping up. Upgrading it was on my things to do but thought that since I was only running one xl at 2000 watts I would be ok for the time being. About the gains and ohm setting if im running at 1ohm would the gains be set highter then if it was ran at 2ohms? I didnt have anything to set it with so I just put it at close to 75% because thats what my little hifonics was set at running at 2ohms.