Second Skin Audio

how to properly design a box?

First off let me apologize in advance for any misspellings our typos that are bound to occur. I'm posting this via mobile (samsung galaxy sII ftw!)

as many of you know I'm designing boxes for folks.

I'm always looking to improve my designs, though.

to the point: does anyone know of any good readings on how to properly design and/or tune an enclosure?

I know the basics so I would prefer some slightly more advanced readings.

To be specific I'm looking for answers to the following:

I'm aware of what unloading is, but what causes it/how does it happen, and how can it be prevented or minimized?

how do the t/s specs determine what an enclosure should be tuned to? are they significant in any other aspects of the enclosure?

thanks in advance, all!

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

To be honest, there isnt just a straight answer. Its more of just trial and error, and a LOT of it.... to get it to perfection in a specific car or SUV.

7w1lnOR.jpg

2004 Bagged Trailblazer

(4)18" Sundown Nsv3s
(4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4
(2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500

To be honest, there isnt just a straight answer. Its more of just trial and error, and a LOT of it.... to get it to perfection in a specific car or SUV.

This. Trial and error. Each vehicle is different. Not everyone is going to use 45's in the corners. Not everyone is going to cut the wood exactly the same. That's why there's so many people building and rebuilding, building again, asking for advice, rebuilding again. There will be no "perfect box", but there will be a "this box might get as low as I want it". That's why there's a lot more interchangeable port designs coming out, easier to manipulate the outcome. I've seen your designs, haven't built one yet, but I'll be asking you for a design and I'll definitely be giving you my feedback and advice.

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg

Agree with the guys. It just really takes practice and years of experience building/designing enclosures for different cars and woofers. Every car is different and so are the many different subs out there. Least you got the basics down. Now get to building.

That's what I figure. Most of car audio is trial and error. I'm mostly curious about the t/s specs though. I've heard things like you shouldn't tune a box lower than the subs fs. Also I've heard that tuning box low for a sub with a high fs is pointless b/c you lose output at higher frequencies.

Are these just myths or is there any truth to these statements?

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

When it comes to those specs... Try asking Ray or one of the sub reps. Or get ahold of thorshammer, he knows a thing or two about getting the most out of a sub lol :good:

My name is AdamThis is my Civic Build.7" Samsung Tab 2Kenwood KDC-X896Clarion EQS746Sundown X-15DC 3.5k @2ohmHatersGonnaHate's 02 Civic UBLELD Bypass for Honda Civic/Accord/FitDon's Jeep Grand Cherokee Rebuild

N8ball2013 - i think you'd stick your dick in a blender if it told you it was 40 wtih two kids your age. lol

srp365 - If posting were picking up bitches, I'd be going home single tonight

looks like tony montana sneezed in your car.

VbjgkeI.jpg

kNsESzw.jpg