Worst install mistakes?

Letting iH8PunkRok help with my builds.

Ouch!!! :lol:

2001 Toyota Corolla CE:

4x Crescendo PWX6.5's

2x Crescendo FT1-SE's

1x DC Audio lvl 2 M1 8 (looking for more)

Slot port box 0.7ft^3 @ 31.77hz

Rockford Fosgate R750.1

1/0 Knu wiring all around

Looking for XS Power D1200

Ruining an Amp from having the wrong color boots on my power and grounds, you would think after blowing 2 fuses i would have figured it out sooner

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/

I popped a fuse when I was like 15 bumping my shitty system on the way to school, incouldbt stand to not have music so I bridged hard wired the fuse holder and that same day my ground came loose and shorted out on my amp case... Dumb dumb lol

so far...

HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B

Amp- crescendo BC2000D

Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead

Electric- Big 3 ^same wire

Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's

Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs

letting my friend help me put a face plate to my wall in... i did it 3 times (getting it to fit just right) by myself with no problems he wanted to help so i let him he tilts the face plate wrong bam spider webed windshield

putting an amp under the front seat testing the fit with seat in push the seat all the way back into driving postion. a part of the amp caught the seat pulled the amp back pulling the power wire out with it it starts arcong on this metal wire under the seat turning it red hot as soon as it touches befor it can start a fire i move the power wire and burn the shit out of my finger

making panels for an amp rack with an air powered staple gun the gun jumps after i pull the triger putting a staple clean threw my finger

thats about all i got

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

What is the absolute worst install mistake you've ever made?

I was doing the big three upgrade on my 'Yota and had to relocate the battery - post / chassis ground to the front section of the frame because the terminal on the end of the wire was too big to fit on the fender. I double checked everything to make sure when I drilled I wouldn't hit anything major like a wiring harness, hose, etc...

So I felt comfortable with my drilling location and started to run the bit, I had forgotten which bits I was using (won a $20 110pc bit-set from Sears for X-mas) and sure enough, I was using the cheap bits. The bit had heated up and drilled through, but I had stopped as soon as it went through and it warped, next thing I heard was HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Turns out the drillbit had beef with my A/C condenser, so he stabbed the b!tch.

*If you look directly below the terminal , you'll see a hole on the top right corner of the condenser

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8926/005qya.jpg

Ground your big 3 to the FRAME and motor block foo. not radiator support

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

What is the absolute worst install mistake you've ever made?

I was doing the big three upgrade on my 'Yota and had to relocate the battery - post / chassis ground to the front section of the frame because the terminal on the end of the wire was too big to fit on the fender. I double checked everything to make sure when I drilled I wouldn't hit anything major like a wiring harness, hose, etc...

So I felt comfortable with my drilling location and started to run the bit, I had forgotten which bits I was using (won a $20 110pc bit-set from Sears for X-mas) and sure enough, I was using the cheap bits. The bit had heated up and drilled through, but I had stopped as soon as it went through and it warped, next thing I heard was HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Turns out the drillbit had beef with my A/C condenser, so he stabbed the b!tch.

*If you look directly below the terminal , you'll see a hole on the top right corner of the condenser

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8926/005qya.jpg

Ground your big 3 to the FRAME and motor block foo. not radiator support

618px-JeanLucPicardFacepalm.jpg

lmao

dont forget to wrap it all up in peel and seal

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

I began installing in about 1983, so I could probably publish a book on what I've seen. I'll list two:

After begging and pleading for a local shop to hire me for my first professional job as an installer, I was handed the keys to a used Oldsmobile. The glory job? Pull it around into the bay and remove the stock radio so that it could be repaired. In those days, many GM vehicles required numerous trim panels be removed to access the radio. While removing the lower dash panel, I overlooked one of the screws holding it in place. I pulled at it and the panel snapped into two pieces at it's thinnest point below the steering wheel. Luckily, the snap was clean and you couldn't tell when the panel was reinstalled. LOL . . .

I once watched an installer use a 9.6 volt makita battery to try and identify the speaker wires in the wiring harness of a Hyundai when they were like brand new. In the process, he was amazed to note that the windshield wipers moved a bit when two wires were touched to the battery. The vehicle was towed from the bay and had the ECU replaced afterwards.

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

I once watched an installer use a 9.6 volt makita battery to try and identify the speaker wires in the wiring harness of a Hyundai when they were like brand new. In the process, he was amazed to note that the windshield wipers moved a bit when two wires were touched to the battery. The vehicle was towed from the bay and had the ECU replaced afterwards.

holy crap :ehh:

Archived