Second Skin Audio

Long Ports Inefficient?

OrionStang

From what I understand if you have more inner wall surface in a port, it creates drag which will make it lose efficiency. Also, I read somewhere that long ports increase group delay which can increase the "muddiness" of the sound.

Can someone back this up? I'm not 100% on this.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Why so much port? Sounds like a bad combo to me.

It would be better if you said WHY. 18sq in per cube isn't too bad.

The width of the port is also a factor. Box is 14"H, so port is 12.5"H. I really don't want a slot port narrower than 3".

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

length isnt a problem so much as bending

in my studies a port that does not bend is louder than one that does. mind you these are very limited studies though..

and as for the port thing.. personally i still think it is not enough but you really dont have enough box to keep a huge port tuned right so hopefully that will work. facing back it will sound tons better than forward so keep that in mind

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

Hey Gaming, I'm just curious as to why I (or my system) would be an example ? I think mine plays pretty darn loud and clear. Of course I'd like more... Wouldn't we all ? :)

But anyway, I have three 6" dia ports, with a length of 30" each, for a tuning of around 31 hz, and again, I'm pretty happy with it. Would like to triple my power, but..... :)

The only thing I'd do different next time, is to run a single, larger vent > but keep in mind, if I wanted to go with the same sq inches of port that I have now, that vent would also be 30" long. If I wanted to bump it up to say 30% more port area (for longer throw subs) the vent would probably jump to 45" ! And I believe, it would still sound perfectly fine, as long as it were tuned correctly....

But come to think about it, I believe somebody already said that.... So, I concur :)

Peace,

Fish

I think (don't quote me on this) that a long port like that reduces the sound quality (Fish Chris as an example)t. As far as efficiency goes, I don't believe so, but... I can't really say for sure.

Longer port lowers the tuning. Lower tuning = less efficiency. So yes, your box could be potentially less efficient as far as numbers go.

On the other hand, many SQ boxes are tuned pretty low. Low 30s upper 20s. Keep in mind that the FS of the subwoofer also plays a factor with port length/ tuning in terms of efficiency.

What is your goal?

Archived