Very long AMD "RANT" PLEASE READ!!!

im glad AMD is done with desktop processors.

i was really tired of the pissing contest that the companies were having and the "fanboys" for either side.

(i am in no way a fanboy, or biased, i buy from the company that produces the best chip NOW, amds bulldozers clearly are not the best chips, therefor sandy bridge or ivy bridge for me)

but really what pisses me off BAD, is this argument.. "it will get better, they're using the chip wrong, just wait".. shit like that. its obvious that the bulldozer line was rushed, which is unfortunate, i really wanted to see neck to neck performance vs sandy bridge.

again, i am in no way biased against either company, but at the moment, i favor intel.

They're not done. They've still got solid chips for low/midrange users. I recommends A6/A8 based laptops all the time for people looking to play older/less graphically demanding games who are on a budget. Not everyone has $1000+ to drop on a bigger Sony, Samsung, or ASUS true gaming-oriented laptop, but people usually like the idea of a $450 machine that will play Portal 2 with mid/high graphics and 2X AA.

Their only struggle is that for many (not all) high-end and enthusiast users, your chip has to be THE BEST for it to be the one to buy. The AMD chips unfortunately haven't been in that spot for many a moon now. Even teh Phenom II fell behind the Core i sreies. It did edge out many Core 2 chips however, and by pricing it correctly AMD offered a good upgrade form aging Core 2 systems without having to pony up for the newer Core i5/i7's

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

I get PM's alot here about people wanting to ask me questions about certain hardware and where their money should be spent. Well, this post was for you all..... I hope you read it in its entirety and keep an open mind about this situation.

Roscoe, don't lie, that was some of the best 10mins you ever had.... :rofl:

Now that we've got CPU's covered, should I buy an AMD or Nvidia graphics card? :lol:

Well, The new refresh of the 560Ti is a killer GPU... Beating the older 560Ti hands down, and putting itself in a price point market by itself.... This new 560Ti is basically a gtx570

They really are. I looked at those when they were launched and I was baffled. Nearly same hardware as a 570 with a lower price point. I think it's Nvidia's counter to the idea of an "unlocked" 6950, but I may be wrong. Maybe just their shot at fastest GPU under $300? It's getting trickier and trickier to get an unlockable 6950 (hoping my second card will be able to)

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

Yep.... AMD hasn't had a "reign of success" since 2006. AMD was top dog with the release of the Athlon64 back from 03-06. MANY MOONS faster at everything compared to the Pentium4. Pentium4 was a done joke, and so was its 546873427 mile long pipeline... Which is why Pentium4 had MHz under their belt, but AMD had a 2.2GHz CPU that was faster then P4 @ 3.8GHz :lol: AMD had a short pipeline but obviously there is a lot more to it.....

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Here I go.

I've been really into PC hardware since 2005, and that was when I was in 7th grade. To put that in perspective, that means I was 12 then and 19 now. I built my first system in '06, which was an AMD 3700+ 939, with an nForce4 SLI chipset and an amazing (at the time) Zalman cooler. 939 AMDs were the SHIT! They had a clear edge on the Pentium 4s of the time. On-die memory controllers, cooler operation, that kind of thing. I saw newls1 mentioned the FX 55/57/59 processors. Those were top-dog.

Since the introduction of the Core and Core 2 processors, however, AMD has had a hell of a time keeping up. They made some poor decisions with their AM2/AM3 lines, and were outperformed by even some lower-market Intels. The problem with Bulldozer is that they designed the chip automatically with some software, whereas Intel has been doing their chips by hand. There are inherent issues with going the software route- while the software will put in everything you'd like it to, it doesn't necessarily make the most efficient design. It can't 'see' potential bottlenecks between internal components, and just does what it has to to get the job done. It's cheaper to go this route though, which is desirable to AMD...they don't have nearly the same R&D cash as Intel. It really is unfortunate that AMD has been unable to come up with competition. I've been wanting to run something from them for quite some time now, but haven't been able to find a chip to justify a purchase.

Intel is running the roost for sure...the Sandy Bridge (and Sandy Bridge-E) chips are insanely fast, not to mention what's going to happen with Ivy Bridge. I'm not looking forward to paying $600 for my CPU though.

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

money is not in desktops or laptops anymore. It just isnt. money is in the big boys. The server rack mounts and mainframes. With cloud computing finally becoming a realization for everyone and their mother you're going to see alot of cheapo stuff hit the market. Its now considered disposable technology. It sucks. But shit is about to get real on a whole new level.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

money is not in desktops or laptops anymore. It just isnt. money is in the big boys. The server rack mounts and mainframes. With cloud computing finally becoming a realization for everyone and their mother you're going to see alot of cheapo stuff hit the market. Its now considered disposable technology. It sucks. But shit is about to get real on a whole new level.

Not sure I understand your view here... But I fore-see gaming PC's for quite awhile, and that was the point of my posts...

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

looking at it in a different way. Im thinking of every end user. There are far more people who use their computer for email music and websurfing than gamers. The gamer base can't make them profitable alone. You have to look at it as sell 40000 400 dollar laptops or 200 2000 dollar rigs. Its all about money at this point and the market is shifting.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

looking at it in a different way. Im thinking of every end user. There are far more people who use their computer for email music and websurfing than gamers. The gamer base can't make them profitable alone. You have to look at it as sell 40000 400 dollar laptops or 200 2000 dollar rigs. Its all about money at this point and the market is shifting.

The only thing AMD's got going for them that I can see is their Llano (A-series) chips with Radeon graphics cores on-die. That's the only competitive part they've got in their lineup for daily users. Athlon II/Phenom II chips are fading out of the market just like Core 2's are now nearly totally gone. Bulldozer seems to me like an idea for a server processor that, using their "modular" Bulldozer "cores" (pairs of cores, interesting design) could be scaled down into the desktop market. Llano will be their driving laptop chip for the foreseeable future. It'll be interesting to see how Bulldozer improves over time with newer chipsets and possible redesigns, but it will be some time if they are ever to do to Intel what they did years ago.

EDIT: This was a response to the laptop part. This has nothing to do with Bulldozer vs Xeon performance or anything of the sort, as I've never ran either and haven't looked into any benchmarks (I don't run an 8+ core server)

wtf is lolcats?

My first computer I built and my current desktop both use AMD processors, and though I havent delved into OCing at all since I built my first computer 6 years ago, I have always realized they are only competitive with intell in the mid level market. People see the 'top amd processor' and the price in comparison with intell and think OH OH OH LOOK AT THE DEAL IM GETTING! I remember a guy at work bought a bunch of shit for his 'Badass beast of a machine' so his brother could put it together. I asked about the processor and he said it was the best for his money, the AMD 6 cores. I laughed and asked why he didnt just get an i7 since even the i7s beat out the AMD 6 cores and his response was 'No thats only a 4 core, this is a 6 core'. (funny thing is the only game he plays is world of warcraft; a real graphic intensive game) Ignorance is bliss I guess. Honestly I dont think this will change much because AMD has been in Intells shadow for a long time and I havent thought it was going to change anytime soon. Maybe that shadow was so dark they miscounted the transistors...Yeah thats it. :lol:

Only thing that WAS good with AMD was their graphic cards which at one point were top of the top. Now with the shitty 6xxx release cards thats also changed. My next build will for sure be intell and ive known that for a long time.

P.S. Teach me teh overclock! First time I did it I fried my MOBO. :rofl:

Archived