Did I get a bad ALT?

So I got my new DC Power 320A Installed and for some reason I hear this constant whine noise. It isn't normal alt whine it is way louder and only goes away when I'm at 2k+ rpm. Anyone familiar with Alt issues?

and secondly randomly 4-5 times on the way to work this morning the power would go completely out for a second and my gauges would act all weird and then it would power back on. Cuts my radio out and everything.

Any light on this situation? Thanks!

www.TheAutoSkin.com

MaliBOOM v2"2010 Bagged Malibu on 20s"<< click here<<<

Excursion on 42s Build log<<Click here<<<

Instagram-@theAutoSkinRyan @TheAutoSkin

Owner of The Auto Skin

and then today

ughhh

go to use my car for lunch and it won't start. No power whatsoever.....

Then I try again randomly and it cranks up. Starts at 13.4 and then finally sits at 14.4 at idle.

WTF

I get out turn it off and then try and restart it and bam. No power again

Edited by MaliB00M

www.TheAutoSkin.com

Owner of The Auto Skin

WARNING Stupid question incoming...

Did you check all your grounds? car not starting and then trying again and starting would sound like a bad ground or dying starter. When my engine ground was bad on my 98 malibu it made the gauges flicker and flash like a bitch. Thought it was the gauge cluster and had a dealership change it out 3 times. I had to take videos for the dealer.

The bad engine ground was causing the charge voltage to sit at like 13.3v while the alt was reading 14.8V and I guess the gauges didn't like it lol. Made new ground from engine block/alt casing and woks like a champ now.

Edited by Lbox88

WARNING Stupid question incoming...

Did you check all your grounds? car not starting and then trying again and starting would sound like a bad ground or dying starter. When my engine ground was bad on my 98 malibu it made the gauges flicker and flash like a bitch. Thought it was the gauge cluster and had a dealership change it out 3 times. I had to take videos for the dealer.

I have checked. Nothing has changed on my setup ground wise except for the replacement of my stock alt with this 320A DC Power one. And I actually just replaced the starter within the last year+ so I doubt it would be that

www.TheAutoSkin.com

Owner of The Auto Skin

U might need bigger ground if u got a bigger alt. If your ground isnt big enough it could cause that or check the main gound to see if the spot where it connects to the frame is dirty.

I had a similar with my 2002 protege. But my problem was that the power wire from the alt was loose. I'm sure you have done this already... try cleaning all the connection ponits and tighten every thing.

Click Links To View Build Logs

1994 - Mazda B3000 (Daily/Toy/Show)

2002 - Mazda Protege (Daily)

1995 - Hyundai Accent (R.I.P.)

1984 - Bronco II (Restoration Project)

Youtube Channel

im having the same issue with a 2002 impala, shuts off randomly, wont start some times, and gauges flip out on me, first though t was the ground , after checking and replaceing grounds , i still have the issue, got a new battery, same issue, new alt still no luck, was told it was my bcm computer, changed and programmed by dealer still no luck, now im going to do the pcm, then the passlock system. ill see what happens then, did alot of research seems that a huge amount of gm cars, chevy gm pontiac, and some other models all suffer from this , and the cure seems to be random. good luck with fixing it, ill be watching for a cure.

Edited by Bmike

2007 trailblazer lthead unit- pioneer p4300dvd

crescendo ft-1 supertweeters

pioneer m650 pros

audiocontrol 2xs crossover

Rockford fosgate p200-2 highsrockford fosgate p400-2 mids1- fi btl 18amps- saz 3500battery- evermax in front, 2 9a31 dekas in rearwires all knuconceptz 1/0 and rcas

im having the same issue with a 2002 impala, shuts off randomly, wont start some times, and gauges flip out on me, first though t was the ground , after checking and replaceing grounds , i still have the issue, got a new battery, same issue, new alt still no luck, was told it was my bcm computer, changed and programmed by dealer still no luck, now im going to do the pcm, then the passlock system. ill see what happens then, did alot of research seems that a huge amount of gm cars, chevy gm pontiac, and some other models all suffer from this , and the cure seems to be random. good luck with fixing it, ill be watching for a cure.

You got it done at a dealer? They should warranty their work then and keep trying to fix it out of pocket :D that's what I made the one I went to do on multiple occasions due to shitty workmanship.