does anyone know the thickness a windshield is? Today my new windshield i had installed for less than a month the mirror fell off for the 6th time (yes my bass was up pretty damn high so im not surprised it did it again) but this time instead of taking a tiny piece of glass off like a pebble it took a huge chunk about the size of your thumb nail and i would say the thickest part of the ship is 1/8 of a inch give or take 1/16. When i looked at the side of my windshield through the trim piece it didnt look like it was any bit thicker than the glass on my doors. This glass isnt worth a shit as it flex's like its nothing and i have had tiny pebbles come up from the road and hit the window and it has put larger chunks out of the glass than the stock one did.

I thought about taking the busted piece of glass i have that is still adhered to the button for my rearview mirror and re-attaching it to the window with some glass epoxy i can buy at the nearest value and leaving the mirror off for good even though my dad insists its illegal even though my outside mirrors work without any problems.

let me know how thick it is supposed to be. i tried to google it and it said its 1/4 thick but that seems way too damn thick for any window ive looked at and when i looked at it from the side it didnt look that thick.

Edited by kickass audio

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

worked at a glass shop back in the day and yes most windsheilds are just a hair over 1/4 inch thick, theres 2 layers of glass with a thin layer of laminite in between,pretty much the standard for all vehicles, some windsheilds are 3/8 but its really rare to find themas they made for older vehicles when saftey glass was introduced.

Edited by Bmike

2007 trailblazer lthead unit- pioneer p4300dvd

crescendo ft-1 supertweeters

pioneer m650 pros

audiocontrol 2xs crossover

Rockford fosgate p200-2 highsrockford fosgate p400-2 mids1- fi btl 18amps- saz 3500battery- evermax in front, 2 9a31 dekas in rearwires all knuconceptz 1/0 and rcas

worked at a glass shop back in the day and yes most windsheilds are just a hair over 1/4 inch thick, theres 2 layers of glass with a thin layer of laminite in between, some windsheilds are 3/8 but its really rare to fins them.

Ok, the one i have looks super thin when i looked at it from the side. Would you think if i put glass epoxy on it and put it back up there that i would have any problems? Also what if i put my mirror up there in the event that my outside mirrors either cannot defrost fast enough or fog up too heavily?

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

worked at a glass shop back in the day and yes most windsheilds are just a hair over 1/4 inch thick, theres 2 layers of glass with a thin layer of laminite in between, some windsheilds are 3/8 but its really rare to fins them.

Ok, the one i have looks super thin when i looked at it from the side. Would you think if i put glass epoxy on it and put it back up there that i would have any problems? Also what if i put my mirror up there in the event that my outside mirrors either cannot defrost fast enough or fog up too heavily?

you will have problems. I can almost say 100% positive. if theres a chunk missing, the structural integrity of the glass is now confiscated. won't be long till you hit a bump in the road or flex it too hard and it just spiders out.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

you will have problems. I can almost say 100% positive. if theres a chunk missing, the structural integrity of the glass is now confiscated. won't be long till you hit a bump in the road or flex it too hard and it just spiders out.

wonderful. i hope my insurance doesnt go up for getting another windshield when its barely been a month since it happened. this is bullshit, maybe if they actually used a good quality window it wouldnt have any problems like the pile of shit that was installed on my truck.

then you can drive your ass up here and clean up the glass shards that will be all over the truck.

Too damn cold. I like being able to wear shorts and a tshirt in December like I did today. I will be up that way in the spring when it warms up.

you're such a wuss. i wear shorts and short sleeve shirts all year round. Even when its snowing outside i still wear them when i go out for a little bit.

wonderful. i hope my insurance doesnt go up for getting another windshield when its barely been a month since it happened. this is bullshit, maybe if they actually used a good quality window it wouldnt have any problems like the pile of shit that was installed on my truck.

some glass installers let you request a glass company (Pilkington, APTECH, etc.)...but it just can't be from a dealership unless your truck is within 2 years old....or unless you want to pay the difference that insurance won't cover. let the insurance company know what happened and they might cover it....also, laminated glass won't shatter, just spider and crack. Something has to be strong enough to get through both layers of glass + the laminate for any actual pieces to break off.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco