Don't get to jealous now. ;-)

I ping 10-42 where I game which is fine, hell I used to play UT/Quake/TO/CS in the 80ms-100ms range, as things don't even start to get dodgy until you hit high 80's. 36 and under is 1 in the same as you can't notice 20ms as much as some of the guys with slower connections that always think they know better would like you to think. ALL online games buffer to give a good result to a wide range of players and that buffer is normally 25'ish ms, but then again some guys don't know this.

If you are a gamer the main places you should be concerned with are LA, Dallas (most servers are in Dallas or Fort Worth as the Planet is there which is also where this site is hosted), and Chicago. I ping 12-22 to Chicago, 30-38 to Dallas, and 65-85 to metro LA (I'm static from DC to Atlanta all around 33-40). So long story short you aren't going to notice 20-40ms as that's still only .02-.04 seconds. Add in cache, computer performance, and the fact that you blink (25ms is around where we blink) and there isn't a difference. There is also the issue where these connections are asymmetrical so the more data you move the higher your ping goes. Generally speaking someone pushing 1/100th of their asymmetrical connection will have a much lower ping than someone pushing 25/100th on an asymmetrical system. Also when a system has an absolute max of 50mb and you push 50mb you will have a higher ping than someone that only has a 25mb slice of the 50mb.

Just to showcase this start a continuous ping and download files at different speeds. You will notice the higher percentage of your connection that you use the higher your ping gets. So if you have lets say 5mb out and use 5mb your ping goes through the roof as to where if you use .5mb it's almost unaffected. Counter that with someone that is capped at 1mb out sending .5 and their ping is drastically impacted.

The worst thing for a gamer is not a 80ms ping, it's packet loss. While ping is important, as long as you are under 80 with no PL you're generally fine.

The funny thing that I find is that most of you are getting all gung ho over fast download speeds when the fact is that most of the sites that you go to are all capped. Having a 1000000Mbps download speed means NOTHING if the site is capping their upload speed at 1Mbps. How many times are you going to come across a torrent that is upload at over 20Mbps? Let me do a speedtest from a oc192 and post the speed clocking over 10Gbps... There are no sites that will upload at that speed so it means NOTHING. Kind of like having a car that will go 200mph but have a governed down to 100mph. :unknw: But then again what the fuck do i know besides jiggle the power cord

:ninja:

Youtube, Newsgroups (torrents? lol), Steam, Origin, FileHippo, etc all do 51mb to me. ;)

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

The funny thing that I find is that most of you are getting all gung ho over fast download speeds when the fact is that most of the sites that you go to are all capped. Having a 1000000Mbps download speed means NOTHING if the site is capping their upload speed at 1Mbps. How many times are you going to come across a torrent that is upload at over 20Mbps? Let me do a speedtest from a oc192 and post the speed clocking over 10Gbps... There are no sites that will upload at that speed so it means NOTHING. Kind of like having a car that will go 200mph but have a governed down to 100mph. :unknw: But then again what the fuck do i know besides jiggle the power cord

:ninja:

Damn it, I guess I should downgrade my Internet speed since this theory apparently applies to everything lol, I mean, I just hate being on Demonoid downloading 15 torrents at 5-8MB each at once and still having the bandwidth to stream from YouTube with no issues.

That was when my speed was 128MB DL, now, only 20MB lol, like going from a Pagani Zonda R to a Prius lol

2011 Mitsubishi Outlander
Sony 712

Soundqubed HDS208

Alpine MRV-M500

Transmission line enclosure

Soundqubed wiring

Knu rca

XS Power battery

CNF terminals

• 1 year later...

Yes I am going to bump a old ass thread...

I finally have a internet connection that isnt from my cell phone, LOL I havent had true internet for 3~ years now, been wifi tethering off my cell forever

2502515171.png

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

yeah its pretty crazy isnt it?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Universities should not count as your not paying for a personal account, when i was installing cable a guy was selling and installing hacked modems till he got busted that would do insane download speeds.

Not too shabby for free wireless.

2503560744.png

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

thats insane, i need that... LOL

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

Archived