Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer wall; port placement.

I've seen pic's of walls built In various vehicles and the question I have is, how critical is port placement when you wall your vehicle? Are there advantages to having the port In the center VS left or right side of the wall VS top or bottom of the wall?

Edited by kdeezy

Go to the search option and search " wall help" and click the one that says wall help and every thing you asked is in there. Good luck with the build!

subwoofers - two eclipse 88120s

box - 3.4 cubes tuned to 32 hz

amps - aq1200 and pheonix gold zx450

New build :

2 obsidian audio 15s

same amp

6.1 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hz in a civic hatch

Port ondriver side meters better because it builds pressure on passenger side.

Port in middle is good for an "equal" pressure on each side of the cabin.

Top or bottom ImO is when you can't fit the proper port on the side lol.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

For my wall I was able to gain a couple cuft extra just posititioning the port along the drivers side.

2005 VW GTI 1.8T

(4) Fi BTL N2 15s/ 4th order bandpass

(2) Crescendo BC5500s

Crescendo c1000.4

(4) Selenium 6w4p (Q logic Kicks)

Crescendo FT1 tweeters

3 runs of 4/0

Too much 1/0

DC power Engineering 320 XP ~235A at idle

3 XS D3100s

The walls I've seen built with the port on the driverside were competing in a format that is sealed and puts the meter on the glass, the ports along the top were competing in USACi where the meter is on the floor and the door open, and port in the middle I've seen more with demo systems and groundpounder systems. If you're building for fun and just demo's I'm sure you can do it whatever way you want.

2001 Blazer ~ (2) 10" DC lvl 4's, Orion 2500d 148.9db

2005 Astro ~ (2) 18" DC XL's, Atomic 5000.1 153.9 db

New England SPL

NESPL - YouTube

Depends on your goal and space available, for me, it´s impossible to wall with 4 18´s my explorer and get a good amount of port area, so i´m building a 6th order, on my friend´s almera we did port on the middle because he competes at bass race (over here we do it with driver´s door open) and that´s why he didn´t built port on driver´s side, and lastly, i built a few days ago a wall on a suzuki vitara, the guy wanted that thing for demos all day long, he wanted to get as loud as he could to passenger side, so we built port on driver´s side and man, with his door closed the passenger´s side is nasty!!!

Tons of people built port on top because it´s the best sounding according to them , i haven´t test any port on top of a wall yet since i´m still a noob about walls, you should get a better input from someonelse :)

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

fecupe your driver side is on the other side of the car from ours isnt it?

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Port area/placement is irrelevant unless you know the thiele small parameters of the woofers, how much power is available, the airspace inside of the enclosure, and the desired tuning frequency.

edit: port area/placement IS important, but without those other factors being known, figuring out the correct port area or location for the application is impossible. You cant make sure the panel resonance isnt in the lower frequency range without that data.

Edited by SkylarDunn

Getting bass into the cabin of a W124 mercedes is impossible.

Current setup:

Temp 1999 panasonic HU

rockford 300.2 for fronts

rockford 200.2 for rears

rockford 400.1 for sub

Leaning towards a 8" in an exponential horn

DAMN YOU GERMANS AND YOUR 5" SPEAKERS!

One SMD in a trunk of a Grand Prix, I'm going to re-do the whole box, put the driver in the middle, and put a port on both sides, if I'm reading this right, and block off one port, I will go from 35htz for daily to about 45htz for comps...

Pontiac Grand Prix GT
400a Mean Machine alt.

EIGHT DD 12''s on a DDz2
DD vo 8''s,6''s,5.25''s&tweets
Norfolk, VA
http://www.youtube.c...ser/ovnorfolkva
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSPLSpot/473815915987218/?notif_t=group_activity#!/chrishova
http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1[/color]