Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer wall; port placement.

The higher you tune, the more port area you need, you cant just block off one port, unless you feel like choking out your sub. I'd need the actual measured t/s specs of your sub to tell you how much you'd need.

Also, why tune and SMD that high? Why not get an SPL sub? Thats not what the SMD is designed for, the smd is designed for high quality, high fidelity, smooth responce, and tundering lows, putting one in a box tuned to 45hz kind of defeats the purpose.

Getting bass into the cabin of a W124 mercedes is impossible.

Current setup:

Temp 1999 panasonic HU

rockford 300.2 for fronts

rockford 200.2 for rears

rockford 400.1 for sub

Leaning towards a 8" in an exponential horn

DAMN YOU GERMANS AND YOUR 5" SPEAKERS!

Also, why tune and SMD that high? Why not get an SPL sub? Thats not what the SMD is designed for, the smd is designed for high quality, high fidelity, smooth responce, and tundering lows, putting one in a box tuned to 45hz kind of defeats the purpose.

So it's not designed to burp? I saw a guy come out to a comp last season with a pair of those subs in a wall with a Sundown 4500 to each one, and refused to put it on the meter. Everyone of us were calling him a pussy for it. Why spend that kind of money on a loud sub if you can't do what you want with it?

2001 Blazer ~ (2) 10" DC lvl 4's, Orion 2500d 148.9db

2005 Astro ~ (2) 18" DC XL's, Atomic 5000.1 153.9 db

New England SPL

NESPL - YouTube

So it's not designed to burp? I saw a guy come out to a comp last season with a pair of those subs in a wall with a Sundown 4500 to each one, and refused to put it on the meter. Everyone of us were calling him a pussy for it. Why spend that kind of money on a loud sub if you can't do what you want with it?

not at all, the SMD is an SQ sub, in the sense that it has very low coloration, smooth responce, can play super low frequencies with great output (in the correct application, of course), that doesnt mean that it isnt a loud sub, its a VERY loud sub, but you could get a louder sub for the money. FI BTL N1 for example. The lows would be nothing compared the SMD, but the output in the correct enclosure, the SMD wouldnt begin to compare in the 45-65hz range. The SMD is honestly the ultimate daily ground pounding woofer, but for competing, if you're running that, you're one confused soul lol.

And op, based on the specs on the WCCA site, here is the port area in cubic inches you would need for a SMD 15" in 5 ft^3.

60hz - 192.8

55hz - 176.8

50hz - 160.7

45hz - 144.6

40hz - 128.6

35hz - 112.5

30hz - 96.42

25hz - 8 0.35

20hz - 64.28

Edited by SkylarDunn

Getting bass into the cabin of a W124 mercedes is impossible.

Current setup:

Temp 1999 panasonic HU

rockford 300.2 for fronts

rockford 200.2 for rears

rockford 400.1 for sub

Leaning towards a 8" in an exponential horn

DAMN YOU GERMANS AND YOUR 5" SPEAKERS!

It is totally designed to be a daily musical sub. Of course you can burp it, but you would be better off using a sub designed for SPL. They guy probably didn't put it on the meter because he knew it wouldn't meter well, his set up wasn't built for the meter. It would sound great and loud, but then meter would be lower than what people expected and they would base everything off that meter.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Right now it's @ 29- 30, I love it!!!! Everyone says tune higher for comps, but I love the lows! I only have 4cu ft to work with.... 36'' w 17'' h 16'' deep...

Pontiac Grand Prix GT
400a Mean Machine alt.

EIGHT DD 12''s on a DDz2
DD vo 8''s,6''s,5.25''s&tweets
Norfolk, VA
http://www.youtube.c...ser/ovnorfolkva
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSPLSpot/473815915987218/?notif_t=group_activity#!/chrishova
http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1[/color]

Right now it's @ 29- 30, I love it!!!! Everyone says tune higher for comps, but I love the lows! I only have 4cu ft to work with.... 36'' w 17'' h 16'' deep...

For daily that tuning is fine, also depends on the music styles you listen to as well. I listen to metal music and prefer it tuned closer to 35 Hz, rap/hip hop is better around 28-30 Hz cause it hits more lows in the music. There's a reason you tune higher for comps.

2001 Blazer ~ (2) 10" DC lvl 4's, Orion 2500d 148.9db

2005 Astro ~ (2) 18" DC XL's, Atomic 5000.1 153.9 db

New England SPL

NESPL - YouTube

I have 2 18" dc lvl 4 with lvl 5 coils In a 10^3 box tunes to 32hz in a 95 suburban behind the third row. Im going to wall them right behind my second row. until asking the question I really didnt know what factors port placement had with walls. It won't be for comp just my daily driver. Plus I just want a wall and I've had my rear windows resealed twice. The pressure back there keeps breaking the seals on those rear windows. I'm sure my windshield will take a beating

fecupe your driver side is on the other side of the car from ours isnt it?

N8, same side that your car does :)

Not always you need to tune higher for comps, depends on a lot of factors, for an example, my explorer is louder tuning the boxes around 38-39 hz no matter what the box size or even amount of power you have, pretty sensitive about it :)

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/