my 9 Shuriken Batteries sizzle.

In my 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, I replaced my alternator with dcengineering alternators 390xp. Three 390 amp alternators for my charging system. I have 9 Shuriken Batteries SK-BT120 2400 watt batteries, which is the same as Kinetik KHC2400. They are made at the same factory according to our Metra rep. I started my car in the morning and all 9 batteries were sizzling. I turned off the engine and saw there was some corrosion on all my battery posts. My batteries are only 6 months old and only been driving for two months. I charged them with (2) Progressive Dynamics Inc PD9200 battery chargers a few days prior, which is the equivalent to Kinteik KIPS12-80. Kinetik tech support recommended me using two of these chargers. The corrosion is starting from the base of the battery post at the seal. Kinetik tech support guy recommends 8-10 ft lbs torque. At first they were tightened to 12.5 ft lbs, but I loosened them and re-tightened to 8 ft lbs before I even started or been driving the car. The OFHC (Osygen Free Copper) busbar shouldn't have pulled the seals loose and my first tightening wasn't too tight because my GM service manual says to tighten battery connections to 11 ft lbs. My first alternator turns on with the factory plug, the 2nd & 3rd alternator turns on with relays switching with the ignition. My 9th battery has an Install Bay iB500 isolator relay that disconnects battery from the bank when engine is off and in start position, but connected in ignition mode. My starter battery (9th battery) read 12.95 volts and the remaining 8 battery bank read 13.14 volts with engine off. When engine is running all nine batteries are connected. (FYI) My capacitor next to the batteries is an Alumapro Cap50 50 farad cap that is not turned on yet, I'm still working on the install. Since I don't have any amps installed yet. the only current draw I have is what the factory vehicle is drawing headlights, heater, no radio, lamps, etc. Kinetik tech says seals may be broken from over-tighened and busbar pulling at seals or the sizzling could be from alternators heating up the batteries too fast from low voltage state. My power wire is Ancor Marine 4/0 or 0000 guage wire. I have a power and ground of that wire going from each alternator to the busbar bank. Is it possible that all 9 batteries I received may be a bad shipment? Any thoughts?

DSC00040.jpg

BATT_6_9.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

BATT_2.jpg

BATT_6.jpg

maybe its sitting their arcing will there is slight current trying to charge them.

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

1. WTF...GET RID OF the capacitor....you dont need it at all...

2. you have teh big 3?

2010 Chevrolet Cruze

Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt

Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5"

Sub Control --- Pac LC1

Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K

Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1

Battery - GZBP 12.2500X

1. WTF...GET RID OF the capacitor....you dont need it at all...

2. you have teh big 3?

The only reason I have the cap is when I enter a SPL competition, I can change my port to the resident frequency and have the 3 seconds for the burp. I'm using (2) Soundstream X3-182 with 8 cu ft per enclosure in the back seat area as a wall.

where did you get the bracket for the alts ?

2007 Ford Ranger

(ALL YET TO BE INSTALLED - DUE TO WORK SCHEDULES)

K&N Performance Air Intake

Massive Audio D2400 Mono Amplifier

2 Custom Built 8" Subwoofers in Ported Enclosure

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In Dash Double Din DVD Player (Video Bypassed)

4 - Pioneer TS-A6886R 6" X 8"

2 - SMD Heavy Duty Single ANL Fuse Blocks

2- Stinger SPP1200 Dry Cell Batteries

JL AUDIO Interconnects

2/0 Gauge Big 3

ILL Customz 8 Spot Flat Lug Style Bolt Down Terminals

ILL Customz 1/0 to 4 Gauge Power / Ground Reducers

Factory Alternator

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2002 Cheverlot Monte Carlo SS - (Deceased)

2 - Rockford Fosgate Power 1501BD
1 - Rockford Fosgate Power 851x
Rockford Fosgate Power 6 1/2 Components
Rockford Fosgate Power 3 way 6x9
2 - JL Audio W7 13.5" Subwoofers (Sealed)
Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In - Dash DVD Player
Pioneer AVIC - U250 - Add-on GPS Navigation System
Audio Control 6XS 4 Way Crossover / Line Driver
Ohio Generator 200 Amp Alternator
3 - Stinger SPP1200 Batteries
1 - Optima D34/78 Battery

My first guess would be some bad batts. my 5 year old kinetik hc-1800 has started corroding lightly in the same way. I doubt you have tightened them to the point to leak in that way. otherwise all of them would be doing it. Missed the part about them sizzling, thats a new one on me. No swelling? How long have you had them in and time before it started? nvm i see 6 months

American Bass*DC Power

hope you already know those alternators dont really do the 390A. for what they go for $1099 im sure you could have gotten better for the price

Hot Idle Amperage @ 200ºF 130A

Hot Max Amperage @ 200ºF 210A

thats from the website

Moisture into the trunk is my first thought, the bussbar won't do that, the wire won't do that, the alternators won't even do that unless you aren't monitoring the voltage at the bank when the vehicle is running, the alts could be charging in the 16-18 volt range and that would make them gas and sizzle and combined with moisture that would make the corrosion you are seeing. And you would have to put ALOT of torque on them to bust the seal just from torqueing the bolts down, you would strip them out first before it got to that.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

A batt could be bad, and cause draw.

Or something in the car is constantly on, drawing amps.

A bad alt also causes drain.

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

Archived