Sonic Electronix

IF you are gonna post, please read everything. (so you don't answer questions I already know the answer to ;))

Also, I'm looking for 'facts', not; theories, opinions, or hearsay.

Since I have joined this forum I have learned what these numbers on my amp's level/gain mean. Now, I'm wanting to look a little deeper.

I have my amp's Gain @2Volts, or what I think is 2Volts, I don't have any tools and the only indicators are the min/max. Even though my amp needs to be at 2Volts to give me the full RMS, I would think every little turn adds distortion even if I can't hear it.

So... If I got a 6V (my amps max) head-unit, would that give me better sound quality than my current 2V head-unit?

Obviously I mean:

6V-HU @ 6V on amp

vs

2V-HU @ 2V on amp

Thanks!

It may take some time, but search my content. If when I get home not answered, I'll post from a laptop.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

The HU is pre-amp voltage so it amplifies its own current to the amp, if you have 6v you dont have to turn the volume as high as you would a 2v HU. The only way to truely know whether you distort past 2v on the amplifier gain is a DD-1 or O-scope

Everythings in the attic or garage since the truck was sold last year. New build should be coming soon in a dodge cummins smile.gif

i got a huge increase in SQ when i upgraded. and nearly 1.5db louder.

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

Let's see... This should help you;

Head unit Knowledge

Q: Does Pre-Amp RCA voltage make a difference? Like is 4 volt better than 2 volt?

A: It's kinda about noise rejection... mostly just for induced noise from the RCAs.

Say you're feeding an amp that makes 30v wide open with a 1v signal. The signal has to be 'multiplied' (which is actually what gain is measured in) 30 times.

If you have 100mV of induced noise then when you multiply that 30 times you'll get 3v of noise on your output.

If you feed the same amp with a 6v signal and adjust the gain accordingly then it only has to multiply the input 5 times to reach full output.

So your 100mV of noise only turns into 0.5v at the outputs...

Long story short: Higher Pre-out voltage, the cleaner it will sound.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

technically, yes the amp would be having to work less and not have to amplify the sound as much. but would you actually hear a difference? most likely not. imo i would not buy a hu solely around having 6v pre outs. honestly the brand/ quality will make much more of a difference then the pre outs.

Edited by new guy

*current*

1991 honda crx si

2 skar audio 12s

pioneer 6.5s

dual 400 watt amp

audio technix

db 1/0 wiring kit.

dual head unit

The HU is pre-amp voltage so it amplifies its own current to the amp, if you have 6v you dont have to turn the volume as high as you would a 2v HU. The only way to truely know whether you distort past 2v on the amplifier gain is a DD-1 or O-scope

I understand when distrotion comes into the sound. My question is if 6Volt@6Volt would be cleaner that 2Volts@2Volts?

6Volts needs very little to make sound

2Volts needs a good bit of the sound amplified, but does that offer more distortion than 6Volt@6Volts?

It's kind of hard to explain my question, so I hope you guys understand what I'm asking.

I'm not asking:

When does distortion come into the sound?

What level does distortion come into the sound?

-----

I am asking:

Is 6Volts cleaner, because it doesn't need as much amplifying as 2Volts.