DD1 owners manual question

I have a little question about what the owners manual says about the tuning levels. It says that -5 dB track is for sq and the -15 dB track is for SPL. I don't think that's really the case since using the -15 or -10 dB track would cause 5-10 dB of clipping while listening to decaf.

Im asking this because I just tuned a system last night that somebody had previously tuned with a dd1 and I used the -5 dB track at first because he mostly listens to decaf stuff but then it got quieter so then I used the -15 because thats what he said the last guy used. Am I thinking of this correctly? If I am shouldn't the owners manual be changed to make it more understandable? Like thug motivation 101 is at -7 or 8 dB so it would still clip with the -10 track

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

i wouldnt listen to music the has the bass restored full tilt, it has nothing to do with the dd-1 its the music that has the clipping in it

I have a little question about what the owners manual says about the tuning levels. It says that -5 dB track is for sq and the -15 dB track is for SPL. I don't think that's really the case since using the -15 or -10 dB track would cause 5-10 dB of clipping while listening to decaf.

Im asking this because I just tuned a system last night that somebody had previously tuned with a dd1 and I used the -5 dB track at first because he mostly listens to decaf stuff but then it got quieter so then I used the -15 because thats what he said the last guy used. Am I thinking of this correctly? If I am shouldn't the owners manual be changed to make it more understandable? Like thug motivation 101 is at -7 or 8 dB so it would still clip with the -10 track

There are many songs straight off a CD from the store louder than -5db. There are many more songs straight off a CD from the store that are about -10db on average. This is whats suggested to use, -10db, numerous times by SMD/Tony for the general user.

Now if you are strictly playing stuff I mess with, I suggest -5db because the average loudness is closer to -5db and you will have a safer setting. It will be quieter than using -10db/-15db when using -5db the gain will be lower. I'm also taking into account that many folks are going to be playing at/under tuning, which can result in a HUGE loss of thermal handling. When I use the dd-1 for my system I use -5db.

Without stepping outside my bounds, I would never suggest -15db for anyone playing rap/hiphop/dubstep/decaf/pimpn. It's simply too quiet and doesn't align with the average music loudness of the genres. Meade has always utilized Gain Overlap... some googling should satisfy curiosities, but this is because he knows limits, knows what doesn't sound right and has well made equipment that can take abuse. Before the DD-1, it was most common to be told to set gain with a DMM and a -3db@50hz tone or get an oscope. 0db for SPL Burp amps because you use 0db tones on the CD to burp... any tone used to set the gain that's quieter than 0db means when you play a 0db tone you will be into clipping (which some competitors do on purpose to achieve more power among other things, keep in mind the amp only does that for 3-5seconds MAX)

So this brings me to an overall idea that the DD-1 has created for end users. MUSIC IS NOT STAGNATE, ITS DYNAMIC. There is no perfect gain setting, period. There is no EQ setting that works best with all songs in the same genre, let alone different genres. The best thing you can do is use an average of most songs you will play and set the gain with that, which is what the DD-1 does. You should also be proactive with your sub level, EQ, and volume knob and have a volt meter so you can use all info in conjuction to decide when you've turned it up too loud.

In lamens terms, find the loudest you can turn it up and always play it quieter than that, lol

i wouldnt listen to music the has the bass restored full tilt, it has nothing to do with the dd-1 its the music that has the clipping in it

You have no idea what you are talking about. There are thousands of songs louder than anything I have and they are a shit ton more clipped, any argument you make is moot.

Before I ever starting messing with music there were just as many guys frying amps and blowing subs, maybe even more so because people thought they could play any music safely before looking at it first. I don't ask a single person to play the songs I mess with but I will ask users to know the limits of your specific setup... thats most important

Edited by Decaf
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

so its safer to tune to -5 and if a song is to low just adjust the sub level or eq

fixed

To be honest, I never change my gain or sub level once set. I just live with the fact that some songs are louder than others, simple as that. I also do not use a bass knob for the same reason.

Until Tony releases that neat little 1/2din VU meter you wont know when you've turned it up too much. So although turning the sub level/eq might help, you wont know when you've turned it up too much.

• Like (+1 Rep) 2

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

so its safer to tune to -5 and if a song is to low just adjust the sub level or eq

fixed

To be honest, I never change my gain or sub level once set. I just live with the fact that some songs are louder than others, simple as that. I also do not use a bass knob for the same reason.

Until Tony releases that neat little 1/2din VU meter you wont know when you've turned it up too much. So although turning the sub level/eq might help, you wont know when you've turned it up too much.

I use my bass knob to turn my subs down. But I DD-1'd it with the knob all the way up so I have no confusion when turning it up on how far to go.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69