Authorized dealer worth it?

I have been reading on vipers site about there authorized dealer and warrantee voids, it seems the only thing covered is your deductible when and if the whole car is stolen! Doesnt make me wanna pay the $500+ for the alarm install when i can get it for 200 on ebay or other online dealers. Whats really the perks of a authorized dealer when it comes to viper. Im aware of brains not working but broken items are usually replaced for DOA items. how likely is it that the alarm is going to go bad in the 1 year warrantee that viper offers? whats your personal take on this...what would you do if you were in my situation?

Its not likely at all its going to go bad, but having a professional who knows exactly what they are doing is an absolute plus when installing a R/S system.

MECP MASTER CEA208509

Proud employee of Alarms, ETC in lakeland, FL

ASE certified

2002 Tacoma:

4 RF P3 15s @ 28hz

2 RF T1500-1bdcps

2 pair Kicker QS

4 Pair RF Power 6s

3 RF p400-4

1 RF p200-2

ALP CDA-9887

yes i will use a authorized installer cause cost is no different. im asking if its worth paying the $500 for the alarm ontop of a 100 to install when i can pay 200 plus 100 for the install...is it worth saying u got a 1 year part warrantee when sonic elec probably offers something similar anyways?

Just realize that non authorized also means that besides no warranty, you don't know what your getting. Often it will be "seconds",

As in defective or questionable in the manufacturers eyes, refurbished, or at worse a clone/copy. Most people it works out fine for, many others not so well. Also, installer will not warranty the install, or diagnostic of your defective parts.

This goes for anything, not just Viper.

Clovis Custom Audio 559-392-3600

96 Silverado Single Cab

2-DD9515's Cut-through

1-DDSE Amp

Stock electrical and a couple small stingers, LOL

Do you seriously expect an alarm company to cover your car if it is stolen or broke into.... GET REAL!

Thats a one way street for the company to go bankrupt fast!

The Directed warranty is for the alarm. If anything goes bad, you have a lifetime warranty and it will get replaced for free.

***the 1 year warranty you speak of is a warranty thru what ever unauthorized online dealer you are buying from, not directed. Directed does not offer any warranty to anyone that buys from a unauthorized dealer or installed at an unauthorized dealer***

Often times it will be a over the counter exchange (tho you may have to set up an appointment, but once you goto your appointment the problem will be found and taken care of). The dealer will worry about sending out the bad unit or defective parts.

You do not get the warranty if you buy the alarm from an unauthorized dealer and have an authorized dealer install it. The only thing the installers can give you warranty on is their work, not the unit itself, and most shops will not even cover the said install and can blame a simple wiring problem on the unit going bad...

Directed has undergone many changes, and now takes not to which units are being sold to authorized dealers, and which units are on a black list. Simply put if your alarm goes bad and your authorized dealer send your unauthorized alarm in for repair or replacement, directed will send it back.

Besides that, the $500 price tags your authorized dealer told you, or on directeds website is the price of whatever model alarm you are looking at and including installation.

PS: Out of all the installers I know, they all charge a higher hourly rate for install when you bring them an item to install that was not bought through their shop.

You dont ever bring your own breakfast to a restaurant and have them cooked it for you. You buy the breakfast from the menu and then they cook it for you..

audio/video i always do authorized dealers. but vipers warrantee doesn't really seem to exist. my concern is paying $530 for a viper 5901 installed at bestbuy (my only local authorized dealer) or pay 240 plus 150 install at sonic electronics and installed at bestbuy. At the end of the day its $140 put is tat 140 worth the warrantee they offer? am i reading there warrantee wrong? or is it 1 year on the brain and pay your deductable when and if its stolen (mine is 50 bucks)

Do you seriously expect an alarm company to cover your car if it is stolen or broke into.... GET REAL!

The Directed warranty is for the alarm. If anything goes bad, you have a lifetime warranty and it will get replaced for free.

Often times it will be a over the counter exchange (tho you may have to set up an appointment, but once you goto your appointment the problem will be found and taken care of). The dealer will worry about sending out the bad unit or defective parts.

You do not get the warranty if you buy the alarm from an unauthorized dealer and have an authorized dealer install it. The only thing the installers can give you warranty on is their work, not the unit itself, and most shops will not even cover the said install and can blame a simple wiring problem on the unit going bad...

Directed has undergone many changes, and now takes not to which units are being sold to authorized dealers, and which units are on a black list. Simply put if your alarm goes bad and your authorized dealer send your unauthorized alarm in for repair or replacement, directed will send it back.

Besides that, the $500 price tags your authorized dealer told you, or on directeds website is the price of whatever model alarm you are looking at and including installation.

PS: Out of all the installers I know, they all charge a higher hourly rate for install when you bring them an item to install that was not bought through their shop.

You dont ever bring your own breakfast to a restaurant and have them cooked it for you. You buy the breakfast from the menu and then they cook it for you..

I never said pay for the car, they pay the deductible and but mines 50 bucks so it would make a difference

i know if its an unauthorized dealer the install wont cover the unit regardless of the shop being authorized. IMO i only say id go with the authorized installer due to them being familiar with the product

so its a lifetime on parts not 1 year? if thats the case then il spend the extra...Thanks for the information. btw not complaining about cost im asking if its worth the extra cash and i guess the answer is yes.

***the 1 year warranty you speak of is a warranty thru what ever unauthorized online dealer you are buying from, not directed. Directed does not offer any warranty to anyone that buys from a unauthorized dealer or installed at an unauthorized dealer***

Could not have been said any better then this.

so its a lifetime on parts not 1 year? if thats the case then il spend the extra...Thanks for the information. btw not complaining about cost im asking if its worth the extra cash and i guess the answer is yes

I edited my above post, and added the answer to that question.

I dont see anywhere on Directeds site (DEI,which owns Viper, Python, Clifford, Avaital and some others) stating a 1 year warranty.

You may want to double check your local authorized dealer to be sure, but this is how its been for the longest time.

When bought and installed through an authorized dealer it is lifetime warranty on parts and labor (install).

Most cases if you do have an issue the authorized dealer/installer will fix it that day if the time is available or they will schedule you an appointment to fix the issue.

Lifetime warranty meaning the length of time you own the vehicle you had the unit installed in.

Where ever you see that so called 1 year warranty is not a warranty through Directed Electronics INC. That said warranty would be through the unauthorized reseller (such as sonicelectronix or any other site that sells the product unauthorized).

Which means if you have a problem, you have to take it all out, send it to that unauthorized dealer which will take at least a week, then probably wait a week for them to send you a new unit back (IF THE PROBLEM IS NOT CAUSED BY INSTALLER ERROR). Than once you get the new unit you better hope your trouble shooting was correct and it was not something else that was broke, or hooked up wrong.

so its a lifetime on parts not 1 year? if thats the case then il spend the extra...Thanks for the information. btw not complaining about cost im asking if its worth the extra cash and i guess the answer is yes

I edited my above post, and added the answer to that question.

I dont see anywhere on Directeds site (DEI,which owns Viper, Python, Clifford, Avaital and some others) stating a 1 year warranty.

You may want to double check your local authorized dealer to be sure, but this is how its been for the longest time.

When bought and installed through an authorized dealer it is lifetime warranty on parts and labor (install).

Most cases if you do have an issue the authorized dealer/installer will fix it that day if the time is available or they will schedule you an appointment to fix the issue.

Lifetime warranty meaning the length of time you own the vehicle you had the unit installed in.

Where ever you see that so called 1 year warranty is not a warranty through Directed Electronics INC. That said warranty would be through the unauthorized reseller (such as sonicelectronix or any other site that sells the product unauthorized).

Which means if you have a problem, you have to take it all out, send it to that unauthorized dealer which will take at least a week, then probably wait a week for them to send you a new unit back (IF THE PROBLEM IS NOT CAUSED BY INSTALLER ERROR). Than once you get the new unit you better hope your trouble shooting was correct and it was not something else that was broke, or hooked up wrong.

Guaranteed Protection Plan (GPP)

Viper's one-year Guaranteed Protection Plan is the most generous in the industry. GPP refunds your comprehensive insurance deductible up to $2,500 if your car is stolen with Viper installed and armed – whether your vehicle is recovered or not!

Qualifications:

The qualifying system was sold, installed, and serviced by an authorized dealer for Directed, remains in the car in which the system was originally installed, and owned by the original purchaser of the qualifying system. Window decals must have been in place on the vehicle at the time of installation.

The theft occurred less than one year after the date of purchase of the qualifying Viper system.

This GPP claim is made within sixty (60) days of settlement of your claim with your insurance carrier. (90 days in New York state)

The warranty registration card was completely filled out and mailed to Directed within 10 days of purchase.

The vehicle was stolen as a result of alarm system failure and the automobile was not left in an inactive/disarmed mode for whatever reason, even if left at a service station.

A police report must be filed and a copy submitted with your GPP claim.

Vehicle must be insured against theft at the time vehicle was stolen.

The insurance company must accept and pay the claim.

A Directed starter kill device must have been installed on the vehicle and the sales receipt must show starter kill installation.

Your claim MUST meet all of the criteria as stated above to be eligible to file a claim for reimbursement of your comprehensive deductible. Any questions regarding the GPP warranty must be submitted in writing to our office. Be sure to address all correspondence, attention: GPP.

Important Note:

A product's warranty is automatically void if its date code or serial number is defaced, missing, or altered. GPP does not cover vandalism, theft of vehicle parts, contents, damage to vehicle and/or towing charges. Furthermore, vehicles that are consigned or displayed for sale are not covered by the GPP program. GPP is not available to employees, agents, friends or relatives of Directed or of its dealers. GPP does not extend to or cover motorcycles or vehicles without lockable doors, ignition systems and/or engine compartments.

The claimant is reminded that in consideration of this program and as a condition precedent to the purchase of the Directed security system, the purchaser agrees [agreed] that any and all claims and/or disputes between the purchaser and Directed shall be decided in accordance with the laws of the State of California and the exclusive and only venue for the same shall be California State Courts in San Diego County, California.

Instructions for Completing a Claim:

Claims for reimbursement must be submitted directly to Directed, attention: GPP. All documents must be clear and legible true copies and once submitted, they become the property of Directed. Processing cannot begin unless the claim is accompanied by the all of the following:

A copy of the ORIGINAL sales receipt from an authorized dealer showing: a.The brand name and model number of the system and the date of installation b.The year, make and model of the vehicle in which the system was installed. c .A Directed starter kill device was installed with the system.# If you purchased your Directed system through a car dealer, you must provide the name of the authorized installer who installed the system for the dealer. (Note: it is the responsibility of the claimant to provide this information and to do the necessary research.)

A copy of the complete police report from the police agency to which the theft was reported. Report must show details of the incident.

A copy of the Declarations page of your insurance policy which indicates the amount of your comprehensive deductible on the stolen vehicle, as of the date of theft

A copy of the settlement check issued by your insurance company (regardless of who the payee is). Your claim cannot be processed until your insurance company has settled your claim with them. If a copy of the settlement check has not been provided to you by the insurance company, please call your insurance agent for a copy. (Note: insurance companies will only provide their insured with these records, it is therefore your responsibility to obtain and forward the same to Directed.) Directed is not able to process any claim that is submitted without all of the above requisite documentation. Partial claims will be considered abandoned. Directed is not responsible and in many instances unable to obtain the needed documentation. The person filing this claim must make any inquiries to the police department, insurance company and/or the authorized dealer. Please allow six to eight weeks for processing and determination once you have submitted the required documentation. Any inquiries regarding this claim must be made in writing, attention GPP.

Please send the above to: Directed Electronics - Attention: GPP, 1 Viper Way, Vista, CA 92081

This is what i meant as for the 1 year. Im aware how a warrantee works. im simply asking if its worth the extra to go to a authorized dealer, being that most shops in my area are not authorized dealers. but since the parts are lifetime the answer is yes...question answered..thanks for the info

Archived