CC-1 Source of Error????

Watching youtube, found this video

If the cc-1's internals are set to that it looks for -3db, then by definition that is a 12 db/octave butterworth filter it was designed to work for.

Now, since TONS of amps today use 24db/octave Linkwitz-Riley crossovers(including the one in the video I believe) - which are attenuated by -6db at their crossover point - this would mean that the cc-1s accuracy goes out the window since it would be off by an 8th of an octave right? :pardon:

Edited by SnowDrifter

Nope.

You set the refrence freq with the amp on full range.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

Nope.

You set the refrence freq with the amp on full range.

I'm talking about crossover setting, not gain matching. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that

I am too

Then I think we have a misunderstanding then haha. Lets see if I can explain my thoughts better

You set the reference frequency, then adjust the crossover until the cc-1 registers a -3db drop in voltage - the crossover point of a 12db/octave crossover

Now if you repeat the same procedure on a 24db/octave crossover where the crossover point is -6db, but the cc-1 is looking for -3db and not -6db -- wouldn't that create an inaccuracy?

-3db is still -3db

Regaurdless of how steep your slope is.

I had the same sort of question before they even came out.

Once i got mine, i found a small error in the manual on how to adjust the refrence freq, corrected the error now all is good. (and changed in the manual)

Im glad that you understand the difference between butterworth and LW cuts

Know that even though tony puts them up against the audio prescision, i put mine head to head on my audio control 3055rta.

Its spot on.

A xover point is definded as the point at which a freq is -3db.

So it does that perfect.

No need to attempt to compensate for the slope you are using as the cut.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

All amplifiers are marked and tested this way also.