Sonic Electronix

Guest MegaloManiac

eDead v1 was asphalt based. which smells, doesnt stick to well, and its heat tolerance is low.

the new eDead is butyl based but it now uses a mylar(plastic) backing instead of foil. mylar + butyl is a fire hazard since both butyl and mylar burns if caught on fire, a foil backing helps disperse heat better and is a better overall sound barrier. Also the mylar backing will separate in due time from the rubber since nothing really ever sticks to plastic :P

basically eD takes way too many shortcuts on their deadener and is not worth it over all for the product. You should look into a company that specializes in deadening like Second Skin, Hushmat, RAAmat, Dynamat(extreme), or Cascade...these companies i listed are known to have excellent products.

Characteristics of an Effective Damping Material – Make sure you examine beyond the $ per square foot.

All members:

[b]1. Mass [/b]– The physical science of damping requires mass over area. The greater the mass (weight per square foot) equals better performance. Focus treatment on the center of the unsupported sheet metal panels and work toward the outer edges (where the panels are welded to the structure of the vehicle. Too many products are “marketed” as effective damping materials at .20-.45 pounds per square foot. There are diminishing returns in double/triple layering the material. For example you do not get 2X the damping performance by adding a second layer.

2. Chemistry – The material must be formulated using materials to provide excellent flexibility at high and low temperature. Asphalt, acrylic and plastic resins are very poor chemistries at any temperature above 60 degrees. These materials change in composition and crack/flake over time. They also exhibit very poor adhesion characteristics. The flexibility of the material is critical given the uneven surfaces in the automobile. Ribbed floors, door frames, tunnels to mention a few. Trunk lids are all uneven surfaces that require a flexible material to adhere to the bottom surfaces in the channels. If the material bridges and does not get good adhesion/contact with the channels you will not receive the maximum benefit of the materal. Rigid materials require heat guns to create minimal flexibility and then they cut the day lights out of your hands.

3. Adhesion The material must adhere (and stay adhered) to the vehicle for the life of the car. This is an area that many of the “marketeers” fail. How many times do you hear about taking off a door panel after a year and find the damping material sitting at the bottom of the door frame? The damping material must remain adhered to 100% of the surface to perform.

If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to contact us [email protected]

eDead v1 was asphalt based. which smells, doesnt stick to well, and its heat tolerance is low.

the new eDead is butyl based but it now uses a mylar(plastic) backing instead of foil. mylar + butyl is a fire hazard since both butyl and mylar burns if caught on fire, a foil backing helps disperse heat better and is a better overall sound barrier. Also the mylar backing will separate in due time from the rubber since nothing really ever sticks to plastic :P

basically eD takes way too many shortcuts on their deadener and is not worth it over all for the product. You should look into a company that specializes in deadening like Second Skin, Hushmat, RAAmat, Dynamat(extreme), or Cascade...these companies i listed are known to have excellent products.

basically everythign i would have typed if i wasnt to lazy to type it all out lol

i have 3 layers on my roof,and it sticks very well.it does not stink or smell.and i live in Alabama and

it gets hot as hell here.it has not come lose yet and its been on about a year.

smd2.gif

2002 nissan frontier crewcab

eclipse cd2000

mb quart prem's fr&rear

rf p4004

Allright, I guess I'll do a little more searching, and hope an awesome deal shows up this winter.. I would love to go with the Hushmat.... but that is way out of my means right now. We'll see how things go, and I'll keep my eyes open.. :blink:

Check out StoneSounds to see my recent builds.Or look at the Flying White Facebook Page!

well I know I seen it somewhere for like 200 and I did my whole vehicle with 2 bulkits one in the rear and one in the front......????? were they drunk when I got it at the shop??? :wacko:

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg