Sonic Electronix

Ok, So I had my subs wired to a low power 4 channel amp, to two channels, and a pair of 6x9's to the other 2 channels. Well I looked up my amp today, it does 40W x4 @ 4 ohm, 100W x2 @ 4 ohms, and 50W x4 @ 2 ohm. Well I had my subs wired down to 2 ohms, then bridged them to see what the difference I would get would be. Although my amp isn't that stable like that, it played for a bit till I blew my fuse. My question is, When I had it playing at 50W a sub, then moved to 50W x2 Bridged, the lows got realllly loud, Louder than ever. But the higher bass when it would hit would start to make the surround wrinkle, I couldnt even turn my SW LVL up at all when a high not was playing without risking some over excursion. Is their something wrong with my box as to why it does it? I am scared now to actually put RMS power to these subs in the fear that they wont be able to play. FYI theya re 260RMS.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Bump, still wondering about putting RMS power to them.

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

If it states rms is 260, then it can handle 260rms. But if the amp is clipping for whatever reason then the best sub in the world won't be able to handle rms for very long.

Never said it was clipping... Or anything of the like. I said when I doubled my power, my subs move A LOT more and wrinkle the surround when I barely play it loud, I can't even turn the volume to full or use the SW LVL with high base or I will reach the xmax of the subs. Not to be a dick but it helps to read.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Run your amp at the rated impedance. Not half

And how are you reaching xmech putting less than half power do them? What size subs do you have and what are your box specs?

Edited by SnowDrifter

I do run my amp at rated, was just testing something out. And that's whats confusing me, I am barely reaching half their RMS off the amp like that and I am reaching the XMAX almost. I have 2 JBL GT1000d 10" subs, on a Alpine MRV-F250, I forgot a lot about the box but I believe I built it for 2cu internal. I did screw up on the port, so the L port has 2 different widths. The end of the port that touchs the outside is 2.75" wide and the bottom part of the port you cant see inside of the box is 2.25: wide

Edited by RooTxBeeR

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Mine is on you over driving your amp causing distortion. That's why you blew a fuse

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Never said it was clipping... Or anything of the like. I said when I doubled my power, my subs move A LOT more and wrinkle the surround when I barely play it loud, I can't even turn the volume to full or use the SW LVL with high base or I will reach the xmax of the subs. Not to be a dick but it helps to read.

You asked about putting rms to a sub, I gave an answer on why a sub might not take rms...never said you were clipping.

Not to be a dick but you need to read better it looks like...

Edited by sprkn_ranger

I could understand that one, Also I am going to throw this out their. Before when I had them bridged to 4 ohms, They would also do this but after I turned the SW LVL up to about halfway, high notes would do the same thing. Sometimes I would actually hear the sub hit its limit and hear the VC smacking the bottom of the magnet

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm