Second Skin Audio

Can I get an aero box tutorial? Lol

I have been hearing aero ports are the way to go. I don't have a whole lot of space in my trunk (2001 Malibu) and I want to make a box with aero ports for a 15" XXX. That being said, I have absolutely no experience with aero ports in any way.

What I want to know is...

How do you decide on the placement of the ports?

Should I do sub to trunk lid and port to driver? Or both to trunk lid?

How do I know what size aero I need and length?

Held in place by glue? If so, what type?

Do both ends need flares?

Would there be any way of saving the box pictured since I made the port too small?

IMG_0787.jpg

I need about 4 cubes and I want to tune it to like 36 Hz.

Max dimensions are like 34"W x 16"H x 20"D

Box plans and any tips on how to make them would be greatly appreciated. I have made normal L ported boxes using Torres so I know how to make them, but thats about the extent of what I have done.

Here is a slot ported suggestion that will be louder than the box you have, aeros are no good option for your dims.

Enclosure Specifications:

Fb = 36.094 Hz

Vb = 4 ft^3

External Height = 16.5 in

External Width = 34 in

External Depth = 20.5 in

Port Width = 4 in

Cut List:

* All Dimensions in Inches.

* Wood Thickness is 3/4 for all Parts.

External Enclosure Parts:

2 x Front & Back (3 parts) = 34 x 16 1/2

Left & Right Sides = 18 1/4 x 15

Top & Bottom = 34 x 18 1/4

L Port Internal Assembly Parts:

Front to Back = 14 1/4 x 15

Extension = 2 1/4 x 15

REXX15.jpg

Let me know any questions.

So here are a couple things I have picked up from others as far as aero porting:

-keep port volume between 8-12 in2 per cube of port area

-end of inside flare must be at least 1 port width away from the side of the box

Typically in a trunk build, most people have the best luck either putting the sub back or seal it off facing forward with port forward. Port size/number/length is chosen based on getting the proper port volume and desired tuning. Flares are used on both ends to get optimal efficiency from them and to avoid port noise/chuffing. Many aero ports come with one of the flares read to be screwed or glued onto the box. I feel a little less retarded today and re-did that box I made before but with real sized aero ports than you can buy at parts-express lol. This is what I came up with

REXXXsubbox-1.jpg

So here are a couple things I have picked up from others as far as aero porting:

-end of inside flare must be at least 1 port width away from the side of the box

Typically in a trunk build, most people have the best luck either putting the sub back or seal it off facing forward with port forward. Port size/number/length is chosen based on getting the proper port volume and desired tuning. Flares are used on both ends to get optimal efficiency from them and to avoid port noise/chuffing. Many aero ports come with one of the flares read to be screwed or glued onto the box. I feel a little less retarded today and re-did that box I made before but with real sized aero ports than you can buy at parts-express lol. This is what I came up with

REXXXsubbox-1.jpg

REXXXsubbox-1.jpg

Now would I put all 3 ports next to eachother? And do both ends come flared on ports you buy from the internet? Also is this something you have tried in your malibu? I believe we have close to the same trunks, i have a 2001.

<_< dammit, didn't think of the flare outer diameter. Our trunks should be the same, no i haven't tried it in mine, and yes the ports come with both ends flared from parts-express.com i believe. Search "ports" at PE and you can see them. Might not fit with the flares. Imma just quit now since i fail at aeros evidently lol.

i use pvc as aeros. flares are like adding the45 to the slot port. u dnt need it, its just better. you buy pvc, heat it up on some round objeccct and push down to make it flare out. its what i did for my box but no flares.

Lucky Durango

Sony hu

4 croosfire 6.5mids

crossfire 600.1 mono amp

American bass 1280.4 mids and highs amp

aq hdc3 12

2.4 cube net box, tuned to 34 and 14.4 inches of port per cube

I have a Grand Prix with similar room and a SMD 15'' going on a SAZ3500 @ .5 ohms... What do you think?

-and I saw the longer the port, the deeper the bass, can I use a PVC coupler and put on an extension for lower bass for daily driving?

422029_2604398401487_1600682969_3488523_1250399317_n.jpg

Pontiac Grand Prix GT
400a Mean Machine alt.

EIGHT DD 12''s on a DDz2
DD vo 8''s,6''s,5.25''s&tweets
Norfolk, VA
http://www.youtube.c...ser/ovnorfolkva
https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSPLSpot/473815915987218/?notif_t=group_activity#!/chrishova
http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1[/color]

Archived