Brandon_4078 Posted March 24, 2012 Report Posted March 24, 2012 I know this is my first actual audio topic post so try and bare with me. I'm looking into replacing factory dash tweeters (irrelevant), but I began thinking there is a good handful of tweeter designs out there and a few more oddball brand specific ones. I know there are other factors to consider ( I.E. material, power handling, and other specs), but assuming everything else the same which design will give you the best accuracy, dispersion, and overall quality? What designs if contribute to or prevent that harshness we all hate? I did a Google and forum search didn't come up with much of anything. I figured that this would be a good topic for people to post there experiences and ideas. Perhaps a person who works in the audio industry can chime in. Some of the types that I have seen are cone, dome, inverted dome, ring radiator, horn, and bullet. Thanks! "The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything" -Theodore Roosevelt
Noobtastic14 Posted March 24, 2012 Report Posted March 24, 2012 I personally like the sound of a good silk dome tweeter. They are plenty loud enough for my taste without being overly obnoxious like other metal type tweeters. my .02 -Drew I am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. uhoh_45 said: dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew
Brandon_4078 Posted March 24, 2012 Author Report Posted March 24, 2012 They seem to be one of the more popular combos, the factory one I have right now is 2.5 inch Infinity paper or plastic cone, literally looks like a small woofer. "The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything" -Theodore Roosevelt
CleanSierra Posted March 24, 2012 Report Posted March 24, 2012 I'm with Noob on this one. I've always preferred silkies. They aren'y too bright usually and I'm happy with how loud they can get. I've never been a huge fan of the aluminum tweets as they are just too harsh. Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.
Brandon_4078 Posted March 24, 2012 Author Report Posted March 24, 2012 I had a feeling the metal material is what was producing the harshness. Now what about the shape of the tweeter, that's what I'm more interested in. "The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything" -Theodore Roosevelt
Watch the bass Posted March 24, 2012 Report Posted March 24, 2012 "in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley
Bump4life Posted March 24, 2012 Report Posted March 24, 2012 silk dome tweeters all day. sound great and can get plenty loud. Buyer/Seller Feedback Thread: http://www.stevemead...5015-bump4life/ MB C220 153 Trunk Car Build Log: http://www.stevemead...d/#entry1840136 MB C280 Ipad Dash SQ Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/194484-bump4lifes-new-benz-tony-c-relay-kit-pictures-ce-electric-audison-front-stage-installed/ My SPL Log: http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1 BMW M340 xDrive Stock, for now. Corner Load 10" maybe soon. But does 10s in the 1/4... Best Scores out of a trunk 153.0 sealed legal full tilt clamped 5524 @ 42 hz 154+ windows down, 155+ kick
neuspeedescort Posted March 24, 2012 Report Posted March 24, 2012 a 2.5" tweeter? wouldn't that classify as a driver at that point? NEUMAN
kirill007 Posted March 24, 2012 Report Posted March 24, 2012 NEUMAN, any tweeters,midrange,woofer is a driver. A tweeter is a high freq. driver, mid is a mid freq. driver and subwoofer is a low frequency driver. I like silk dome tweeters, horns, ring radiator, ribbon tweeters and a few composite tweeters. Thinking is the root of all problems... You ALWAYS get what you pay for.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.