Second Skin Audio

What is a realistic budget for what I am trying to accomplish

I have recently bought a 2002 Honda Civic Coupe to travel in for work. There is so much road noise, I am pretty much yelling to carry on a conversation. I have been driving a 2008 BMW, and would love to get the Civic down to a reasonable noise level. Hopefully to a point where I am not yelling over the road noise while traveling.

I live in an area that is pretty extreme, weather wise. Temps range from the 20's in the winter to 110+ in the summer. I want products that can handle these conditions, and second skin looks like an awesome product line that can deliver the goods.

My main question is; is a budget of $200-$300 realistic for trying to accomplish my task? If so, which products would benefit me the most? If this is not a realistic budget for my goals, what is a rough dollar amount?

I have been reading around for a few days, and the typical lay out seems to be CLD, then different types of additional barriers. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

2002 Honda Civic

(Current)

HU: JVC KD-X50BT (Replaced Pioneer 6800 that came with it)

All stock w/ 3 working speakers. Ya!!!

Currently cleaning up someone elses mess

(In the works)

M&H: HAT Imagines

Amp: Orion 8004

Sub: Unsure

Knukonceptz Wiring

SS Deadener (on its way! yay!)

I don't really know how much coverage you would need so as for price I have no idea, looks too low though. But since you only want to be able to carry out a conversation I think you could do it.

As for second skin, I recently deadened my trunk lid ,Trunk walls ,Trunk floor, and trunk ceiling with damplifier pro. Stuff is amazing. It killed most of the trunk rattle I previously had from my sub but I also noticed a significant decrease of road noise from the rear wheels. I have a Mazda 3 and mazdas have like no sound deadening anywhere so there should be a nice difference in your civic since its noisy as well.

However, damp pro is mainly for rattles and not road noise although it did help, I have heard luxury liner is amazing for actually keeping road noise out. I also hope to use that product in the future as well as deadening my doors with more damp pro.

2008 Mazda 3s sport

HU: Kenwood DDX318

Mids and Highs: OEM, upgrading soon.

Mids and High Amp: adding soon

Sub: AA Arsenal 2ft^3 @ 31 hz

Sub Amp: BRZ1200.D w/ RF OFC 4 gauge.

Big 3: Knukonceptz CCA FLEKS 0/1

Alt: Mechman 220a

Source: Ipod classic

Clever way to tag me Mr. Dean... clever. :)

To answer your questions Dimensions, yes you can achieve great results within that $200-$300 budget.

Just keep in mind that the BMW was designed from the ground up to act and sound the way it is and your Civic... well wasn't... so it may require a bit more work. :)

In terms of products and quantities, this is what I would suggest.

• 20-40 sq. ft. of Damplifier OR Damplifier Pro

• 4 sheets of Luxury Liner Pro

• 1 can of SS Spray Adhesive

All totaled up, on the low end you're looking at $275, $365 on the higher end.

Apply the Damp/Damp Pro to the doors, floor, cargo area and rear quarter panels. Now please keep in mind while installing that only 25% of the panel needs to be treated with a CLD. For example most doors really only need 1.5 sq. ft. of material and that's it.

Once all of the Damp/Damp Pro is installed, you get to lay the LLP down. Now unlike CLDs where you only need 25% coverage, with MLV (mass loaded vinyl) noise barriers you want to create as seamless as a barrier as possible. So measure and cut the LLP to fit as tight as possible. Duct or foil tape can be used on the seams, but isn't necessary.

The 4 sheets of Luxury Liner Pro (total of 36 sq. ft.) should be enough to treat the cabin of your Civic as well as the trunk for the most part.

As an optional step, you may want to add 2-4 sheets of OverKill CCF (closed cell foam) to install behind trim panels. This will isolate it from the sheet metal and further reduce the chance and even kill those really annoying rattles and squeaks.

Hope that covers it and if you have any more questions or need me to elaborate further, just ask!

Edited by Second Skin Rep Jon
spelling....
  • Like (+1 Rep) 2

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

Thank you so much for the input Jon. Definitely awesome customer service and knowledge. I am stoked to see what this stuff can do! Will the luxury liner pro also help to keep sound in the vehicle? I am planning on installing an amp and sub after all the sound dampening goes in.

2002 Honda Civic

(Current)

HU: JVC KD-X50BT (Replaced Pioneer 6800 that came with it)

All stock w/ 3 working speakers. Ya!!!

Currently cleaning up someone elses mess

(In the works)

M&H: HAT Imagines

Amp: Orion 8004

Sub: Unsure

Knukonceptz Wiring

SS Deadener (on its way! yay!)

No problem, that's what I'm here for. :)

And yes the Luxury Liner Pro will help keep the sound inside. It'll keep the road/tire/exhaust noise out, and the music in.

Have a question about Second Skin? E-Mail me!

usa_render4.png

You can do it. I was stunned at how quiet I could get my truck. and its old and loud.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Thank you so much for the input Jon. Definitely awesome customer service and knowledge. I am stoked to see what this stuff can do! Will the luxury liner pro also help to keep sound in the vehicle? I am planning on installing an amp and sub after all the sound dampening goes in.

Fellow Utah boy eh?.. I hear ya on the weather deal, but its getting nice isnt it? and then i hear snow on sunday. Anyway, Jon is golden on knowledge, and the products. You wont get better support. In this case man, you can not go wrong, period. Cheers and good luck.

Edit - On a vehicle specific note... Jon is all damn knowing (its a little scary?) with about anything HONDA/ACURA.... have no fear....(thanks for the help Jon)

Edited by KyLar96

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: not many people say this !!! glad you want to keep the sound in the car instead of make it so the world can hear !!!

you will love the SS i used it on my car and it sounds AMAZING so far !!!!

Edited by michigancapri92