Second Skin Audio

Where to port this box?

wonderboy

I've been working on a design for this goofy shaped box to fit in the trunk of my '01 Eclipse for a HK15x2. I finally have the shape down, but I'm stuck on where to put the port. I need about 65-75 sq inches of port area. Take a look and let me know what you think. If I put the port where I'm thinking, I'll get aboiut 70 square inches of port area. But would the outside wall of the box that is also the inside wall of the port (labeled in pic) cause some bad port turbulence? The sub is facing forward. Box dimensions arent final, im just waiting until i get an idea on port displacement before i scale it down a bit. The dimensions are maximums to be able to fit in my trunk.

FRONT

box1diensioned.jpg

BACK

box2.jpg

BOTTOM//FRONT

box3.jpg

'01 Eclipse GT

Obsidian Audio 12's

Hifonics BRZ1700.1d

XS D3400

'Big 3'

My car hates me.

I guess a better question would be: HOW should I attempt to build a port for this box?

Come on guys, I know somebody on this great forum has the answer.

'01 Eclipse GT

Obsidian Audio 12's

Hifonics BRZ1700.1d

XS D3400

'Big 3'

My car hates me.

Slot port, tuned to 34-36 hz. I dont have any clearance for a port on top. It woud have to be on the front, or firing to the left or right parallel with the back wall. I dont think that would sound very good though, considering the port would be firing into a little corner pocket behind the wheel well in my trunk. I was playing around on AutoCAD some more and I think I might have a better idea of what I can do though. I need to measure my trunk again first. Thanks for any input

'01 Eclipse GT

Obsidian Audio 12's

Hifonics BRZ1700.1d

XS D3400

'Big 3'

My car hates me.

why not build a simpler box? thats not gonna sound too great in a hatch

SUBSCRIBE AT YOUTUBE! 18abVFL < CLICK!!

2005 Subaru Impreza

My build log.

Head unit- Kenwood Excelon KDC-X695

Front doors- Rockford Fosgate 6.5" Prime components

Rear doors- Rockford Fosgate 4" Punch coaxials

Sub amp- Audiopipe AP18001d

Subs- Two American Bass TNT 10"s

Box- 2.6 cubes @ 34hz, 36in of port

Big 3 & run of Raptor 1/0 to rear powercell

TEAM 808 UPSTATE NY.

ab1.png

Can it be heard 2 blocks away, thats how i rate systems.

why not build a simpler box? thats not gonna sound too great in a hatch

A simpler box won't fit in my trunk. Manufacturer recomends 5 cubes, so I'm trying to stay around that. I think I might be able to simplify a little though, same basic shape except keep the entire box at 15 inches height. I have to measure my trunk again and then see what kind of internal volume i can get out of my new design.

Edit: The sub would be firing up with the port forward, do you think that would sound better?

'01 Eclipse GT

Obsidian Audio 12's

Hifonics BRZ1700.1d

XS D3400

'Big 3'

My car hates me.

Archived