Second Skin Audio

L7 Vs. W7

the square subs = more cone area = louder, BUT also...the square subs arent as linear, so the sound gets a little more distorted than round subs. if i read that info right. i used to have an 18" solo x. it was more of a hassle than anything. it was beefy and cool at first, but you wont have fun taking it in and out of the box. plus i hear they have some internal problems. so i'd pick the L7 or the BTL imo

the square subs = more cone area = louder, BUT also...the square subs arent as linear, so the sound gets a little more distorted than round subs. if i read that info right. i used to have an 18" solo x. it was more of a hassle than anything. it was beefy and cool at first, but you wont have fun taking it in and out of the box. plus i hear they have some internal problems. so i'd pick the L7 or the BTL imo

Having that extra 20% cone area does little when you have a sub with only like 12mm XMAX. The W7 runs rings around the L7 as far as usable throw goes. :)

36CFDEF1-F93D-4FA3-9934-64EE2EC94080-2856-0000071FCFA47672.png.ebe82e417eabc5f239a4adf293b099f9.png

Previous 150+ daily rides:

Volvo 240 wagon 2 x DD Audio 9915s walled, Isuzu Trooper 6 x DD Audio 3515s walled clamshell, Lexus LX470  2 x Kicked Solo X 18s, Lexus LS400 4  x American Bass HD18 walled

SMD - System of The Month August 2008

My Youtube Videos

Having that extra 20% cone area does little when you have a sub with only like 12mm XMAX. The W7 runs rings around the L7 as far as usable throw goes. :)

very true

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

You cannot compare a W7 to an L7 for a start there not in the same category. For me id say the L7 there alot louder and how can you say same box same amount of power makes them equal you would have to go with the right amplifier and right box size the manufacture says to make it a fair battle. about the solo x ive had the 12s and had problems giving it over half power they just generate to much heat and causes it to distort they can handle the distortion im giving it when its heated up but it gets to a point i took the subwoofer out the coil was nearly fried was black in colour from copper. Ive never cooked a coil yet though they are pretty tough. They 'did' have internal problems on the new cones but its been fixed that problem now just so you know...

Edited by polochris

KICKER Livin' Loud

I LOVE the sound of w7's. If you just want some loudass subs that arent super precise...kicker square subs are your way to go. I've installed a half dozen of them, and they all sound pretty good, and get loud too. but theres a reason people pay what they do for w7's, and thats cause its one of the best subs on the market.

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

the only thing with the W7 is the price and you pay for what you get. now i remember back in 2003 when one of my homie got a whole of a lil money and wanted to do 2 or 3 12s. hell i told him about that W7 and he complained on having one but went and tried it out in his car. he ran it on a RF 2003 1501d and let's just say he was wipping guys with two and three 12s. that shit was honestly loud as hell ............. laster MTX dropped the 9500 and RF dropped the T2. one sub wonders. W7 hands down bro if you got the loot

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

I would say the ford anecdote is waaay off. I dont know about the navi, but going from a fully loaded Crown Vic, to the Town car or even a fully loaded grand marquis to a Town car was a HUUUUUGE jump up. The ford and mercury didnt even compare as far as ride quality goes. all three had about the same performance however. But the lincoln is like riding on a pillow everywhere. Completely different beasts.

You may be happy with the loaded ford, but the lincoln is a whole other monster. Only reason i had to throw this in was my dad has owned all three and i have driven all three.

The L7 is a nice driver, but not really comparable with a w7.

I would compare a w7 more to a MX or TC-3000 or IDMax

ah, but Xmax is not everything, remeber the Strokers? Plus, with the T-cut top plate on the L7's and L5's, the Xmax 'rating' is far under what it really has.

Usable throw, you need power, power needs current,etc,etc...

Behind every great man....is an underwear tag!

Xmech, as long as the driver stays within 'mechanical limits' whether round or square, will last and product about the same.

There isn't any 'internal problems' with the X woofers, other than it took longer to get the new revised ones in, but we see hige improvments on the new 07 X cones.

Behind every great man....is an underwear tag!