Class D for SQ mid amp?

audio1der

Cheap amps sound like crap in general when trying to go for SQ

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Cheap amps sound like crap in general when trying to go for SQ

Yes Sir ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Tube amps bleh. I never understood the desire to willingly add high level distortion coleration to music.. To each there own though :)

High Quality tube amps do not add distortion...., how about you listen to a McIntosh stereo amplifier for home, which is a vacuum tube amp, and see if you hear any distortion, I dare you.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

LOL @ Distortion

You might want to read up on the different designs ;)

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Tube amps bleh. I never understood the desire to willingly add high level distortion coleration to music.. To each there own though :)

Hmmm ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

He does have a point if this was 15-20 years ago ;) Some tube drivers were as much as 20% .Of course class D amps were just an idea and class a/b were a buck a watt.

Tube amps will sound different then transistor. Some people like it, others not so much. Of course some people also like horn cars, and others not so much

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

That amp may be a big exception to the rule ... beings that amp cost around 800.00 plus

not many people can pay for 4 of them just for a 2 way active setup ...

For 800 $ you get one channel of the 8 channels of a SB 8 in maximum upgrade.

http://www.trutechnology.com/products.htm

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

Honnestly, you are correct there ... although I've only heard one or two in action, they sounded amazing ...

I edited my previous post on this ...

as for the horn cars ... The few I heard back in the day sounded GREAT !!! but required ALOT of EQ ... but driver positioning and installation tactics were phenominal !!!

Kind od wish I could hear a Sound Quality horn car on more of "today's" electronics ...

This is something that I came across while doing a research paper.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-brvtW7DAPtC/learn/learningcenter/car/amplifiers_glossary.html

An amplifier is classified according to its circuit design and the way its output stages are powered. Although some may assume that for every portion of the input signal there is corresponding 100% output from the amplifier, power dissipation (in the form of heat) and distortion of the audio signal are two key factors in determining the efficiency and fidelity of an amplifier. Each class has its own performance characteristics and advantages.

• Class A amplifiers are desirable for the high quality of their sound, but, because of the configuration of its transistors, a pure class A amplifier is inefficient and runs very hot. This is because even when there is no audio signal, the output transistors always have current running through them. The current flowing through the output transistors (with no audio signal) causes the amp to heat up unnecessarily, and "waste" input energy. Most car amplifiers that boast "Class A" circuitry are really Class A/Class AB hybrids.
  • The output transistors of Class B amplifiers actually turn off for half of every signal cycle. This improves efficiency and saves energy, but introduces distortion during the switching periods.
  • By far the most common car amp design, Class AB amplifiers also allow current to run through the output transistors when there is no audio signal, but at a much lower level. A class AB amplifier runs cooler, and therefore, more efficiently than a class A, with low distortion and high reliability.
  • Class D amplifiers use output transistors as switches to control power distribution — the transistors rapidly switch on and off at least twice during every signal cycle. Class D amps boast higher efficiency, produce less heat, and draw less current than traditional Class AB designs. Class D amplifiers produce higher distortion than AB designs due to the high-speed switching on and off of the transistors, but this distortion occurs at high frequencies that are typically removed by a low-pass filter.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Archived