Look what I got! Now what am I gonna do with it?

No Nate I have not. The same guy gave me a bunch of plexi.. 3 peices of 7" by like.. 10ft and a 19x30 peice all 1/2" plexi and a bunch of medium sized sheets of smoked 1/4". Do you have any advice on working with it?

7" by 10ft?! Did I read that right?

God damn, lucky! Plexi aint cheap. Tuned to see what you come up with :good:

I know man! I'm excited to play with it. I just am not sure what all I can do with it yet and I don't wanna waste any of it either.

I havent ever experimented with fiber optic but I'm def tuned in to see what comes of all this. Plexi really isn't cheap though and congrats on the nice score.

-James

Thanks man. What do you think I should do with it all?

-Ross

Project Layla

Truck: 99' F-150

Gathering things for my next build.

SoloX18 build:

http://www.stevemead..._1#entry1576460

RE T-line build:

http://www.stevemead...-between-build/

I never cut fiber optic cable before but it can be a pain and if its small enough it can stab right through your skin like its nothing so be super careful with it. What i would do with it would maybe to get some bright led's and cut the cable to go around the outside of your subwoofer and elevate it so it sits just above the sub and mount the led's in each end of the optical cable. I would paint one half of the cable black though so you get the most light pointing down to your sub. Kinda like making a neon sign, the backs are painted black to get as much light to reflect off one side of the sign that everyone is reading. That would look pretty cool to me. And maybe if you can get it warmed up and malleable you can bend it around areas on your doors and put it in there too to illuminate.

Just tossing ideas out there, the call is all yours but that would look pretty cool to see.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Defiantly do the plexi amp cover and I'm not too sure what kind of wiring you have on your system but maybe use the 2awg to upgrade the stock wiring up front or maybe use it to upgrade the wiring going to your amp if you are currently using smaller wiring. You could also sell the wiring if you have no use for it. A little extra cash never hurts. Times are hard these days. I def say the fiber optic should be lit up and light up the box or maybe the underneath side of your dash or maybe light up the engine compartment. If you had 0 guage or 1/0 wiring i'd offer you something for it as I am currently looking to do the big 3 on my '97 Tahoe. The 1/2" plexi would be awesome if you could use it to make a viewing window into the back of your box to see the subs while they are in action. You may need 3/4" or 1" to do the but ive never tried it. Maybe build a Plexi battery box for the rear? Just a few ideas haha.

-James

- 1997 Chevy Tahoe- Big 3 (1/0)- Dual Autocraft Batts- JVC KD-A315 HU- AQ 2200.1D- 18" AQ HDC3- Box w/ Removable Port (6ft^3 @ 36hz & 6.7ft^3 @ 42hz)- 39' 1/0 & 13' 2/0 Flex-A-Prene

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

polish the edges of the plexi, drill small holes, insert leds, mount your amp to it, make a small arm to support it at an angle, it will look like its floating if done right. good luck.

OiRYFHf.png

////Alpine, Eclipse, Load Boss, Pheonix Gold, MB Quart,Digital Desings, Memphis, Stinger, Periphial, MTX, Visualogic

Just goofing off and did this. I have limited tools at my apartment but it can out alright. I'll show how I did it in my build log in a bit

177485d2.jpg

21f96a9e.jpg

Edited by DudeWith4x4

-Ross

Project Layla

SoloX18 build:

RE T-line build:

Wow man that's sick. You did a great job fitting the plexi to the amp and drilling the holes for the adjustment knobs. Very clean and loving the Leds. Looks like you might have done that before. Keep up the good work with the new supplies man. Ill be tuned in til you use it all up.

-James

- 1997 Chevy Tahoe- Big 3 (1/0)- Dual Autocraft Batts- JVC KD-A315 HU- AQ 2200.1D- 18" AQ HDC3- Box w/ Removable Port (6ft^3 @ 36hz & 6.7ft^3 @ 42hz)- 39' 1/0 & 13' 2/0 Flex-A-Prene

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

James- no I've only ever worked with plexi once and I learned a lot from doing it this time. I'm thing of making a better jig and mass producing the covers. Lol. Anyway the edges aren't the best in the world either.

Thanks for all the ideas guys! Keepem comin! Lol

-Ross

Project Layla

SoloX18 build:

RE T-line build:

Making a few to sell wouldn't be a bad idea. Some people that dont have the skills you have might wish they had a cover like that. You might could sell LED kits for amps also. The edges looks good in that pic though. I do believe Scott might be right tho cause they really do charge you a lot for internet so the cable must be worth something. I got a feeling we are going to see a decorated box with the fiber optics though. I'm looking forward to see where it is going to end up. I wonder what it would look like in the port of your box pulsing with the beat of the bass? Maybe build a plexi amp rack/stand and light it up with the fiber optics? It would look awesome to have a plexi amp rack/stand to make it look like your amp is floating and maybe put 2 computer fans in the back for cooling?

I built an amp stand for my amp out of wood then bed lined it. I got one computer fan on the front for cooling but now that I'm getting ideas in my head for a plexi amp rack/stand I kinda want to build one for myself now haha. You can check my amp stand out in my "garage".

-James

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

That might not be "real" fiber optic cable. Most of the new stuff isnt glass but a plastic polymer resin thats SUPER clear, and easier to splice too. Most things like that used for lighting are a cheaper plastic so its easier and safer to work with. Real glass fiber optic cable is rarely used anymore since its super hard to splice when doing data connections.

They probably used it for lighting either on the ceiling or floor. Put it under your dash and wire it to the interior lights when you open the doors :)