Second Skin Audio

Using Dowels to build box and where to start w/ putting together a box

i heard that glueing and using silicon is really the best way to build a box. and obv to let it cure and such. and i also heard that using screws and nails just aren't the way to go, how about predrilling a few major points, like the corners and centers, and using dowels? stupid idea, not bad idea? i have a new box design and i want to build it very accuratly and make it look very good and i'm not sure how to "build" the box. like which piece to start from, how to hold it together, and which parts to build first, and even if i should build sections, et them dry, and then add. any help would be great. thanks!

I screw and glue all my boxes together, never had one come apart either. the strength comes from the glue really, pre drilling and adding some screws acts like a clamp while it dries, and I dont cheap out on the screws either, can't hurt to have them in there.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

you need to counter sink the holes for the screws to set them below the surface a bit, and use body filler to cover the holes. And just dont buy cheap ass wal mart screws, hit home depot and get some decent black drywall screws. And if you are stripping them you either drilled the holes to big or need to quit going apeshit when you screw them in. Ive never had that problem.

1999 Lincoln Town Car-(build underway)

- (2) SA15s, 4th order, DAT 2500.1, O2 mids n highs, 250a alt, HC 2400, Big 3....

1994 Pontiac T/A for speeding tickets.-

- Currently on jack stands, wanting to be a real race car

"Your local forecast, all the ladies in the metro area should expect to see 8 inches tonight" - The Todd

Decaf, on 01 November 2011 - 02:38 PM, said:

i provide the ammo for destruction, the trigger finger is connected to the volume knob tho

URBAN GORILLA AUDIO

silicone is bad.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I put mine together with screws to hold it in place until the glue dries, than I take the screws out.

No reason to use silicone unless you are trying to fill in a huge gaping hole in the box, in which case, ditch the box and try again. That's a significant structural weakness.

Oh, and the fumes from the silicone can degrade the surround.

always predrill. mdf splits very easily. when predrilling, choose a drill bit that is the size of the shank of the screw. i always assemble the box on top of the bottom plate and build up. its easiest to put the back of the box on last. that way you can silicone the edges on the baffle, then assemble the back wall and you can easily reach the back plate's edges from the sub cutouts.

Edited by skittlesRgood

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

always pre-drill using screws on MDF. and you won't even need to seal the box if your cuts are accurate and you have no gaps.

edit: gadamn super ninjas :shok:

Edited by mbdblue

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

haha ok so countersink. didnt do that.

i did predrill but i think i did to big so i'll try smaller and hopefully they won't strip. and i always see people using silicon to seal their boxes. . . but they let it cure for a few days first. still bad? and what else could i use for minor minor air leaks? and thanks guys