Shopping for my first car - Need input

Hey guys, I'm in the market for my first car and need some suggestions. Budget is ~5k, can go a bit over if needed.

I am looking for a medium-large car - I don't care if it's a sedan or coupe. I am open to hatchbacks too. Needs to seat 4, and I don't care if it's manual or automatic.

Priorities (in order)

1. Safety - airbags, ABS, crash test ratings, etc
  2. Reliability
  3. Fuel economy / cheap to maintain
  4. Insurance cost
  5. RWD/AWD (I can't stand FWD)
  6. I do all my own work - so something semi-easy to maintain

What I have been considering:

Volvo V70 w/ turbo - Would like input specifically for this since this is at the 'top of the list' right now

Subaru outback

Mercedes e320

VW Jetta

I am open to feedback on my current list/additions to it.

Thanks! :)

Edited by SnowDrifter

What ever you do make sure that you check for water damage. feel the carpets with your hand all over the floor and check the trunk where the spare tire goes and make sure water doesnt come in. I have had 2 cars where water leaks through and its a nightmare.

Adding a volvo v70 (wagon) to the list of considerations

Outbacks are nice. If you could accept a fwd, look at a Mazda 3 wagon. Thats my next car no doubt.

If your title is right, rwd cars handle like balls in the snow. Manual fwd is the best combination in the snow.

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

Adding a volvo v70 (wagon) to the list of considerations

Well, I'd take the Volvo wagon. I still have a 1988 740 wagon. It's a tank. It does have its problems, but it's nothing major. It doesn't go up to more revs when pushed more if the engine isn't warmed up and the horn doesn't work. Other than that, it's amazing, easy to fix, not much maintenance needed (besides the usual stuff).

Outbacks are nice. If you could accept a fwd, look at a Mazda 3 wagon. Thats my next car no doubt.

If your title is right, rwd cars handle like balls in the snow. Manual fwd is the best combination in the snow.

I disagree on that statement. For winter driving I much prefer (as much as it pains me to say) automatics. When you get into a situation where you need to rock the car, you'll get pissed quite fast in a manual.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

I disagree on that statement. For winter driving I much prefer (as much as it pains me to say) automatics. When you get into a situation where you need to rock the car, you'll get pissed quite fast in a manual.

I only get ~3 days of snow here per year, so that is at the bottom of the list

Rain on the other hand - lots :)