Crossovers...?

How do you set one up? I mean, I'm trying to do a fully active crossover setup with the tweeters running off a separate amp. Is there any way of keeping each set of speakers from "overlapping" each other? Basically limiting them only to certain frequencies. Like 20-80hz for subs, 80-200hz for midbass, 200-~2000hz for mids, and then ~2000hz or up for tweets? I've always been curious about this.

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

Simple ... get you a external active crossover, or a bad ass headunit with High pass, band pass, low pass, and subwoofer pass selection capabilities ...

and BTW, who told you that "overlapping" frequiencies was a bad thing ??

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Simple ... get you a external active crossover, or a bad ass headunit with High pass, band pass, low pass, and subwoofer pass selection capabilities ...

and BTW, who told you that "overlapping" frequiencies was a bad thing ??

No one told me that. I just thought it was. My current build used to be really peaky around 100hz until I put an 80hz high pass on my components and an 80hz low pass on my subs, so that's one reason. I can admit that I'm probably mistaken though.

Lane AKA HeroKight

'96 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4x4

R.I.P. Molliboo

$200 for new tires, on a jeep!? Is she stealing them or building them with a heat gun and rubber bands?

You hear that????

That's a category 5 shit storm coming

n8: hey you doing today. What's it like being a bitch? you can pm me if you'd like to explain why you arent one. Just like you did for your vs threads.

^^^Rules. Follow them.^^^

Buy a good head unit that has a built in active crossover. It can be difficult to find one that will support a 3 way active front stage though, so I suggest running your midrange and midbass together and use your amp's high pass/low pass filters to seperate them. The only pain with that is that most 2 or 4 channel amps have shit crossovers on them, that won't allow you to set the LPF higher than 150-250Hz.

Here's how I have mine set up:

Head unit: Sub: LPF - 63Hz

Mids: HPF - 63Hz - LPF - 3.15kHz (midbass and midrange both receive signal from this output)

Highs: HPF - 3.15kHz

Amps: Sub: No LPF, SSF Off (set to 7Hz below box tuning, or to about 25Hz for most people)

Midbass: No HPF, LPF - 315Hz

Midrange: HPF - 315Hz, No LPF

Tweeter: No filters

Edited by Autruche

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

some good info,.... but, i myself like to "over lap" where i can,... i also run different on my slopes,... 12db or 24db.... i mix and match my slopes, to, well,... have a slope, on some of the freq's i want to,..... and not just a direct cut or drop off.....and prefer band passing anywhere you can... i band pass every one of my speakers...

but, im usually doing things all flip flop...only worried about my ear though...lol

Edited by KyLar96

• 10 years later...