Second Skin Audio

Which is louder????........

I misread too.

1 sub on 500 watts vs 2 subs on 500 watts - 2 subs will win unless you do something really stupid with the enclosure design.

Edited by bkolfo4

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Would running 2 12s on 250rms each or 1 12 on 500rms be louder? Or would they sound about the same? Ive always just ran 1 sub is the reason im asking. Thanks

Let's figure this out the old fashioned way (by using acoustical theory)

Let's say that hypothetically a single 12" sub will get to 130 dB @ 250 Watts (this is what we are basing the rest of my example off of)

If we double the power the amount of subwoofers we will pick up 3 dB according to accepted theory and arrive at 133 dB

Alternately we could double the number of subwoofers (still remaining at 250 watts TOTAL) and gain 3 dB as well and also arrive at 133 dB

If we double the amount of speakers (to two 12" subs) AND double the amount of total power (250 watts each/500 watts total) we will gain 6dB and arrive at 136 dB

I conclude that 2 12" subs each receiving 250 watts (500 watts total between the pair) will in fact be louder than the exact same single subwoofer receiving 500 watts of power.

Edited by tjamz

honestly you will not know unless you try both. idk what subs your running the quality of the box the car ect.

2003 VW Jetta Wagon AA Mayhem 15's Flatline BA2 2 XS D3100's in rear Shuriken BT80 under hood

Mike Singer 250A SHCA and KnuKonceptz wire Big 4+

AQ / Dayton pro mids+monsoon tweets

My Build : http://www.stevemead...35#entry1989435

honestly you will not know unless you try both. idk what subs your running the quality of the box the car ect.

Commonly accepted acoustic theory dictates that if all else is equal (same make/model/enclosure/vehicle/placement/etc) dictates that 2 12's on 500 watts (total) will always be louder than 1 12 on 500 watts.

You know, unless my professors all lied to me

Nice "verses" thread guys ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

:rofl: I lol'd hard at the scientific explanation. Too many variables that make that hypothetical very flawed and inaccurate so in the end if all else remains the same Cone Area is king so 2 12's.

EDIT P.S. The enclosures between a single sub setup and dual sub setup would not be equal.

Edited by IBleedMusick

2013 Dodge Charger

Build Log

1996 Ford Explorer XLT 5.0
Build Log

2005 Honda Civic LX Coupe

Build Log

SMD SUPER SELLER!!!!
My Selling Feedback

Dresig1_zps7acbddbb.gif

Dresig2_zpscfb11527.gif

Commonly accepted acoustic theory dictates that if all else is equal (same make/model/enclosure/vehicle/placement/etc) dictates that 2 12's on 500 watts (total) will always be louder than 1 12 on 500 watts.

You know, unless my professors all lied to me

lol

And the fact more than one person agrees does not make it a circle jerk, it makes it a bukkake scene and you're in the middle ;)

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth..

B5 Passat Build Log

postedimagel.png