Is a flat response curve always optimal?

Hopefully this thread gets noticed, since Steve just posted his 360.3 thread this may get buried but i will try anyway.

I have an ep2x with the 28 band e.q. upgrade installed. I was thinking of putting a bunch of tones on a cd and adjust levels for 2 hours until i get a flat response curve. The only problem i have is I can only check two ways, either with this, http://www.amazon.com/USB-Digital-Sound-Level-Meter/dp/B005JX2EZ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338348270&sr=8-1 , or by ear. I will be checking at the driver head rest and only do freq above 80hz since my subs are set to 80 lpf. And i will be using "A" weighted since i think that makes the most sense for those frequencies.

(yes, i know those meters aren't the most accurate but, since it will be the same meter used throughout the test it may suffice, just not sure if it loses accuracy with higher freq)

So my questions are;

1. Should I go by ear or meter

2. Is a flat response curve going to actually "sound" better musically

3. Should I set a nominal volume or a high volume (I ask because, if I get standing waves it may not be noticeable at lower volumes)

Sorry if this should be in the "SQ" section instead of "Head Units-Processors and Eq's"

for a ballpark. your android or i device have apps in the app store. RTA is what to search for. JL has a free app that has one and theres a couple free ones. Use a good pair of head sets with a mic and place in at the headrest and adjust to get it close to flat.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

RTA meter ...

for a ballpark. your android or i device have apps in the app store. RTA is what to search for. JL has a free app that has one and theres a couple free ones. Use a good pair of head sets with a mic and place in at the headrest and adjust to get it close to flat.

never heard of doing this ... may have to look into it ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Unless you compete you really don't want a flat response.

It is always best to find the placement of speaker's to achieve the best result without using any kind of equalizing.

The biggest thing you can do for optimal sound quality is to properly treat your doors and interior.

While SQ can be subjective it always comes down to how well you like it.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

Unless you compete you really don't want a flat response.

It is always best to find the placement of speaker's to achieve the best result without using any kind of equalizing.

The biggest thing you can do for optimal sound quality is to properly treat your doors and interior.

While SQ can be subjective it always comes down to how well you like it.

I am kind of limited on placement unless I start getting creative with fiberglass. Only thing I can think of that would help the most right now is getting the door speakers off a completely horizontal axis. Plus I hate the way 1k sounds so I always cut it some anyway. I may have to look into to RTA software and a decent mic since i have a carputer that would actually be an option.

I don't think a flat response sounds very good at all.

If you are competing with an RTA that is different, but placing your peaks will change how it sounds on music.

-Drew

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

I don't think a flat response sounds very good at all.

If you are competing with an RTA that is different, but placing your peaks will change how it sounds on music.

-Drew

Not sure what you mean by placing your peaks, but I have read in CA&E magazine many many years ago that a flat response curve doesn't always sound better. So, it looks like fiberglass it is. I'm just going to have to do more important upgrades first. Alternator, Wire, Enclosure and mid-bass speakers. I think moving my tweeters up the doors will help and getting my mids to point more towords the front seats will help a lot. That and sound deadener. Thanks for the replies everyone.