Sonic Electronix

i'm new to the spl worl and loving it. i have 4- power acoustik mofo 152s on a hifonics bre2500. i keep reading about people blowing subs by clipping them. what is clipping and what causes it?

i'm new to the spl world and loving it!!!
4- power acoustik mofo 152s
rd d9

"Clipping is a form of waveform distortion that occurs when an amplifier is overdriven and attempts to deliver an output voltage or current beyond its maximum capability. Driving an amplifier into clipping may cause it to output power in excess of its published ratings."

This is what clipping looks like on a O-scope

400px-Clipping_1KHz_10V_DIV_clip_A_5ohms-1-.jpg

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

Clipping is distortion.

yes. but distortion is not clipping... :trippy:

thanks guys for the quick responses! you guys are amazing. can anyone tell me how to correctly tune my amp?

buy a dd-1 or o-scope.

Edited by matt402

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpgth_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifsoundigital.pngth_Banner_140x100.jpgn221468318568_2854.jpg

8_RedDevillogo.pngteamtexflex-1.jpg

You can correctly tune your amp by either using an O-Scope or a DD-1(better,cheaper option) to make sure you're not clipping.

Doing it by ear is bad idea cause the human ear can't detect less than 3% distortion on bass.

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)