Wave Guides - anyone remember those???

When I was growing up and reading car stereo review, and Auto Sound & Security, Waveguides were coming on. Saw a set, made by USD, at a joint, & almost snagged em just because. Anyway, I left, and posted this after I looked around the Acura to see if I could use em. I don't see them anymore, and was wondering what the mass opinion was out there???.. As always, thanks for any and all help.

Edited by KyLar96

Waveguides? Sure, basically just fiber optic-like transmission for sound and EM waves. They have their uses, but none that I can think of in car audio..

:peepwall:

http://www.usdaudio.com/usd/wg.html

I think this is what he was talking about.

Looking around on other car forums real quick returned some results showing the general consensus is good...but used sets were going anywhere from 250-500$ a set. You could probably build your own 3 way component set for less.

Edited by Chris Hammer

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Oh. I thought he meant waveguide waveguides. Not waveguide as a marketing term.

I know what your talking about too...but no use in car audio as you stated. ;)

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

Oh. I thought he meant waveguide waveguides. Not waveguide as a marketing term.

Nothing I would call practical :P

Otherwise, they are very expensive and more of a special application item or novelty at best. Discrete placement is a pain and a set of killer components will sound so good you could hardly tell the difference.

I know what your talking about too...but no use in car audio as you stated. ;)

I'm gonna hate

Yup I remember them from CA&E back in the 90's.

Saw a set on eBay a while back and almost got em but I doubt they'll fit my dash.

Richard Clark used them in his award winning Buick so they must be good.

This post sent with 100% recycled electrons.
2004 BMW M3
Mechman 280A
2 - XS Power XP3000

1 - XS Power D375

500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F)
iPadMini2

Dash mounted O-scope
Audison bitOne (Remote DRC MP)
Highs Amp - PPI Art A404
Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...)
DC Audio DC9.0K
2- DC Audio XL12m2

LEGAL             - 147.3dB @ 41Hz
OUTLAW         - 150.2dB @ 45Hz

OUTLAW         - 145.7dB @ 30Hz
JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER

2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER

SOTM BUILD:
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026

sig-sized6_zps0265e669.png

I use them in my car and for the cost of the horns, drivers, and eq you could get a sick 3 way comp set. They are really efficient. I have the image dynamic horns. They are still easy to find if you know where to look. My setup cost ~$400. not including the midbass in the doors so a figure around 500 is pretty accurate. Worth every penny though. You need an efficient midbass to keep up with them. I have a 10" on 8x the power than the horn and at 91db 1W/1M they are having trouble keeping step. There is also debate as to whether the midbass driver should be the same diameter as the horns mouth length. ~12" One of the reasons I am going to try a 12" PA driver. A couple pics of my horns and the ones Richard Clark had in his dash. I think he was using 2" compression drivers. JBL or TAD's; over a grand a piece! I can't remember which...

gfyu015.jpg

gfyu016.jpg

The beasts. I heard they weighed over 50 lbs. lol

gnib-8.jpg

They have become smaller as you can see. The ones I have crossfire extremely hard due to the center console. That's why I chose the full size horn bodies. The mini's are even smaller and couple to the dash much better.

Edited by TheScottishBear

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Damn,... Thanks for the great info,.. (Christ, those are huge!!)

Hey bear, I may hit you with a pm if that's cool...

I chatted with one of my "go to's" on the site,.. And where the option is there, placement (which seems to be key) and some tuning has me probably just picking up another component set in the future. I just came across these, they look in great condition and my head wondered back to the day....

You also don't see or hear of much, which, I like to do things a little off,so it was appealing.

Appreciate the info ..

Edited by KyLar96

I know Image Dynamics made them ... are they still in business ??

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch