My Comp Turns Off When Playing Counter Strike

I gotta BFG geforce 7950 gt

Take the card out and blow it out. most likely their is dust all around the heatsink fins and its causing the fan not to move as needed.

If you got a air compressor drain your lines from water and blow out the card with the air compressor (i use my friends compressor that is setup for painting so I dont got to worry about water in the lines) other wise the cans of compressed air will work alright.

You can also take the heatsink off the card, theres about 6 or 8 phillip screws holding the whole heatsink on. becarful tho they are pressure screws with little springs. Dont lose them springs. At least thats how my card was when I redid the heat sink paste.

You can also order an aftermarket cooler for it. I forget what they are called but theres some nice once out their I was looking at in the past. Newegg.com. They are under 40 bucks too!

To me it totally sounds like a cooling problem with your graphics card, and being said that you are playing css which is a demanding game on your cpu and graphics card.

As stated before try out the beta drivers at guru3d.com I have always used their beta drivers and they own the fuck out of the drivers put out by nvidia.

here is the cooler id recoomend..

Dont get me wrong the zalmanns are nice, but these own the zalmans because they transfer the heat out of the case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835185124

I dont think this is the needed cooler for your card tho, but they do make them.

Edit: I am also running a huge overclock on my video card with the stock cooling.. After my card was made they came out with the KO Superclocks which provided the needed cooling that the COs didnt have, but I have no problems with my CO at high clocked speeds.

I also have 5 case fans, 1 120mm zalmann fan, 2 80mm psu fans, and the stock fan on my video card. I got a good amount of airflow through my case. I was going to put my old ram cooler on, but it wont work with my corsair xms pro w/activity leds :(

Edited by audiofanaticz

The zalmanns are some of the best air coolers made for your pc's!

However for video id get the artic cooling cooler because they should cool your memory chips as well, where the zalmanns dont. You can buy little adhesive stick on heatsinks tho too.

The reason I like the artic coolers tho is because it cools your card and vents the hot air out of your case, where as the zalmann will just circulate the hot air in your case, raising your case temp.

I cant seem to find the one needed for your card on newegg at the moment tho.

But if you get the zalman. get these little sticky heatsinks to disapate the heat from your memory on the card. Id get the more expensive zalman because it offers more copper for more cooling :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835118220

Edited by audiofanaticz

When I bought my VF700-AlCu, it came with those little heatsinks for the video card. :D

Couldn't use em with the Zalman heatsink, eh, oh well....

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

it would be nice to know some other games that are played onthe unit. I'm pretty sure the whole cooling of the graphics card isnt going to change your problem. Lower all your graphic settigns and see if it changes anything before spending any mony on anything.

I bought http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...uct_code=339563 and http://www.compusa.com/products/product_in...uct_code=332236 today and installed em....it ran longer than it did but it still shut off on me when playing CSS. The only other thing I can think of is the processor cuz the heatsinks are a little warm after it shuts off. I got a fan on the processor so I dont know what else to do.

Edited by Menace89