DC Sound Lab

how much power can an xl coil handle?

ok so I have 2-12k @.5 each on 4-xl18's the only problem is stright up think i got too much power. The amps are scoped clean and even a little conservative (120volts ac iirc) with a -5 db tone. had three subs go down not because of clipping/ heat as coils are still wound up on the former and are nice pretty as new. the fail point is in the winding where it makes a 90* turn from vertical to start winding around the former. It is just opening the winding up as if it were a fuse and that were the area of most resistance. This is where my idea of too much power comes from. That being said when i go back and rescope the amps im going to start low and clamp my way up in power question is where should that power level stop, what is going to be the physical wattage limit to the coil in the xl? I plan on using a -5db tone to keep it close to the level of daily music subs are in 4.5ish per with 15sq" port per cube tuned @35hz. basically i got the power to do it without heat from distortion i just need to have a good idea of real world power limit. 3500-4000 was what i was thinking. looking for real info here from people who have used these or know about the coil limits themselfs im not a newb just looking to get the most out of this setup as possible with out having to do a re cone everyother week.

That is definitely too much power. I would use a 0db tone first off. 3000w would be where I would want to be per sub, 3500w is where you will start to have issues with the coil getting hot and stinky. With that much power, you need as clean of a signal as possible. Talk to corona_jeff about this. He is running 4 m2 XL 15s on 2 AB1100.1s.

Haven't personally gotten enough clamped to see but someone reputable here told me he clamped 2200 and somewhere around 3000 on his XLs in the past and there was no difference on a meter. in other words once you get around the 2200ish mark it's the most that will make a difference. After that you're just adding heat.

2013 F150 Crew Cab

Old Build Log

Feedback

2013 F150

Equipment - Some Awesome Stereo Sound Making Stuff

Haven't personally gotten enough clamped to see but someone reputable here told me he clamped 2200 and somewhere around 3000 on his XLs in the past and there was no difference on a meter. in other words once you get around the 2200ish mark it's the most that will make a difference. After that you're just adding heat.

This could have just been his particular application. What would cause that to happen would be motor saturation, and I assure you, the XL motors are not going to reach that point at 2200w. I found that point on the m2 Level 3s at about 1700w. When I tested with 6 m2 Level 3s and 1 7.5k(clamped just over 9000w, 1500w per sub) and then tested again with 1 12k(clamped just under 12000w, about 1950 per sub). My gain was only about .2db. I know I was pushing the Level 3s to their absolute limit at this point for a burp.

Ray was clamping his old m4a's at right at 3k per xl 18, and he went through more recones then I can count. 3500 clamped is definately out of the safe range.

Team Flex Issues

Low tuning > God

2011 CALI AS1 STATE CHAMP

Ray was clamping his old m4a's at right at 3k per xl 18, and he went through more recones then I can count. 3500 clamped is definately out of the safe range.

Ray if you see this please correct me if I am wrong. I do believe he did play with a bit of clipping when he was chasing numbers. ANY clipping past 2000w will cause nothing but problems. Jeff Smith(corona_jeff) has been running 2 American Bass 1100.1s on 4 XL 15s, m1s and now m2s. I know he has clamped over 12000w and he does not go through recones. 3000-3500w per XL CAN be done, but conditions have to be perfect. Yall have to realize that you are talking about putting over 1000w more than rated power to a sub here. When you start doing that, if you dont know exactly what you are doing, shit is going to go wrong.

This is what i was after 3000 clamped sounds about right to me maybe a smidge more. i was using a negative tone so that the power level between clamped tone and music will be closer. I knew this would be an issue when we added the second amp, if rusty would hurry the heck up with the new lvl6 hopefully this issue will disappear! :) I've heard testing has gone very well!

In Ana's CRX on the 2 XL10s it keeps getting louder all the way up to a little over 4k per sub. Only reason I dont know about anything more than that in that car is thats all the power it will make off 1 battery

DC AUDIO

Phone Number

1(855)SPL-DBZZ

Built by Competitors, for Competitors.

xls will take over 5k on a burp all day...but around 3k an any clipping they do not like it... ..they are m1s right? id swap to m2s.. how is the tahoe sounding op any numbers before they blew

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.