Sonic Electronix

Hey guys, i am graduating highschool in a couple of months. My plan so far is to go to either a community college for 2 years then a public school for the other two. Then possible go to a car audio install institute. I plan on majoring in Business and minoring in horticulture/turfgrass management. Im either going to start my own mowing business or my own car audio shop. I bought a brand new $8,000 mower this year, so i pretty much have the mowing business in the bag right after school. But car audio is my other passion. And there might be more money in it, so im leaning towards that more.

I live in central Iowa. And i am thinking about goin to Acoustic Edge in Oklahoma city. What do you guys think? Please provide some input. Where did all of you guys go to school and such. Thanks

1987 HONDA CIVIC

(1) Pioneer Head Unit

(1) Kicker KX650.4

(2) Alpine Type E's

(4) MA Audio MA80XE's

sonypspowneryt6.png

hondaownercd0.jpg

gtaplayervz7.gif

bassaddictpm4.jpg

Well here is the situation (here, Alberta) for a car audio shop, its regulated by provincial (state) AMVIC.

Unlike body shops and many others that work on vehicles you do NOT need a licensed mechanic at the shop, as long as you don't work on A/C or exhaust your in the clear to work on wireless starters, security, stereo. Again here, where I live you do not need a MECP certificate to run the business/start the business/install. Sure it may help but its not mandatory, I'm gonna be done highschool this year too and will be opening an audio installation shop if everything goes well.

I would take a close look at where you're going to open a shop and check out the laws they have where YOU live.

crxsilogozz5.gif

hahaha i finally found some one on this site near me in canada. whats up caravan. i dont know how to pm other wise i would do that. but im planning on doin the same thing when im done high school(this year) and coincidentally im moving to alberta too

hahaha i finally found some one on this site near me in canada. whats up caravan. i dont know how to pm other wise i would do that. but im planning on doin the same thing when im done high school(this year) and coincidentally im moving to alberta too

just for future reference...click his name on the left, on the drop down menu, click send message ;)

Hey guys, i am graduating highschool in a couple of months. My plan so far is to go to either a community college for 2 years then a public school for the other two. Then possible go to a car audio install institute. I plan on majoring in Business and minoring in horticulture/turfgrass management. Im either going to start my own mowing business or my own car audio shop. I bought a brand new $8,000 mower this year, so i pretty much have the mowing business in the bag right after school. But car audio is my other passion. And there might be more money in it, so im leaning towards that more.

I live in central Iowa. And i am thinking about goin to Acoustic Edge in Oklahoma city. What do you guys think? Please provide some input. Where did all of you guys go to school and such. Thanks

Well if you start your own car audio shop here in Iowa it wont do to well. All the shops around here barely get any traffic, its just not that big of thing around here. Basically everyone thinks Best Buy has the 'Best' equipment and dont try local shops. Your better off with your mowing business...

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

Yah i know, i used to think that too, but not anymore, lol... I know of Ice truck works and Elite Styling and Sound in Des Moines. I think they are doing really well! You know, there are a lot of rich bastards out there that dont know anything but wanna pimp out there car. I am also thinking about if Iowa doesnt have enough business, maybe moving somewhere else to get the business i need. what do you think?

1987 HONDA CIVIC

(1) Pioneer Head Unit

(1) Kicker KX650.4

(2) Alpine Type E's

(4) MA Audio MA80XE's

sonypspowneryt6.png

hondaownercd0.jpg

gtaplayervz7.gif

bassaddictpm4.jpg

Yah i know, i used to think that too, but not anymore, lol... I know of Ice truck works and Elite Styling and Sound in Des Moines. I think they are doing really well! You know, there are a lot of rich bastards out there that dont know anything but wanna pimp out there car. I am also thinking about if Iowa doesnt have enough business, maybe moving somewhere else to get the business i need. what do you think?

Well yea theres a few good established shops here in Iowa, AutoToyz in Coralville is nice, but its going to be hard just to jump in the game and compete with the other ones. But anout the rich bastards, In Iowa if there rich most of them are going to careless about systems and all that lol. Anyway good luck...

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

Car audio schools are a waste of time and money. I've worked with NUMEROUS "graduates" from mobile dynamics, ritop, and one out of florida I can't recall the name right now... they were book smart if you could even say that... zero hands on experience, no troubleshooting skills what so ever, and just plain not knowleadgable. Wow they learned a test that I passed on my first try.

Hands on experience is where its at... i started at circuit city for a few years, then moved to a custom shop. I love every minute of it, even if it is just a job for beer money/toys till I graduate next year and get my real job.

Goto college... get a degree... or if you really want to be an installer find somewhere that will take you on as an apprentice or something.

just my two cents(and almost every installer or shop manager i've meet also felt this way though ;)).

Edited by Shyne151

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000