I was thinking about adding an extra battery to my truck for my system but if i add a second battery is that bad for my alternator and would i need to upgrade that too, or would just adding a second battery be fine?

It does ad more load for your alt to charge since its keeping up to batteries, but its always better for the batteries and for your amps

If you don't have a second battery you can really kill your first one

My current 95 Jetta Build w/

pioneer h/u

2 RD Sonance 10's with flatwind coils

2 Audiopipe apsm 1500.1s

1 Hifonics Brutus Elite 60x4

1 XS d925

1 Stinger spv35

1 1000 amp lead acid

50 ft of 0/1 ofc from Audiotechnix

all powerbass components, and coaxils, 4 sets

buildlog = http://www.stevemead...2-rd-10s-build/

My build for my wife. http://www.stevemead...01-f-150-build/

If you add a second battery, make sure they are both AGM batteries, preferably the same brand of batteries with similar age

Fuse the positive wire as close to each battery as you can and you are set

Okay i just read something that adding a second battery is hard on your alternator and will eventually cause it to break and just wanted to see if it was true or not because i have a second battery just wasnt sure if i should put it in or not

Edited by Ryan929

It will be fine. It will add a little bit more load, but it won't kill it right away. Get a volt meter and don't let your voyage drop real low while playing your stereo. You can always save up and get another alt later on down the road.

Okay do you know anywhere where i can get one for cheap?

Get what? A battery or an alt? Either way, I really feel that you get what you pay for. I'd rather have a good quality made stock alt than a crappy made off brand HO alt. As for battery's, I know the majority of people here use xs but there are a few other reputable brands out there.

And don't worry to much about mixing an agm battery with your stock battery, just make sure you charge the agm before installing it and regularly put it on the charger overnight to keep it healthy.