Sundown Audio

Things to know about running .5 ohm.

Semper

and whats even better are the people who were just askig questions presenting themselves as a total noob that now are talking about .5 aint bad lol

WORD

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

There were multiple questions, you all just decided to pick the same one and reply.

I'm not planning on running at .5 ohm, nor was I intending to. I thought about it waaaaaaay before this thread and already knew I didn't want to.

I was asking several questions about it so we could get some solid answers to them so that way the next time someone asks about running at .5 ohm, we have a thread with all the answers anyone would need. ( Not saying I've asked all there is to know about running .5 ohm, just some stuff that'd be good to have an answer to. )

It was more for intellectual gain purposes, to help those who are currently or plan to run at .5 ohm.

New Setup;

H/U; Pioneer DEH-80prs.

Wiring; 2 runs of 2/0 OFC & Big 3.

Subs; 2 D1 DC Level 4s.

Monoblock; DC 3.5k.

4 Channel; JBL GTO1004.

Highs; Vifa NE25VTS-04.

Mids; Aura NS6-255-8A.

Alt; 160a.

Batts; Optima, KHC1800.

The best purposes would be to help people realize they shouldn't wire down due to poor planning, and that wiring too low is one of the reasons so many amps fry. And that rise should never be used to save a setup.

my two rules for running at .5

1. if you have to ask, dont do it.

2. if you do it anyway and fuck something up, learn from it and dont complain

but to be on topic. STOUT electrical, everything becomes more dangerous. Low voltage is a no go.

What you just said made no sense at all. If someone doesn't know how to do something properly they need to ask questions. And if you don't ask questions then more than likely you will damage and mess something up.

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

No. So asking questions would be enough for someone to build a house with your logic.

You can ask all the questions you want but if you don't have a grasp on the fundamentals or what is required it won't matter. Just saying lol Do your own research and base any questions you have on that. I was excited with my new plans to be able to run at 2 ohms for my substage.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Simple fix for you... Get 2 amps that are 1 ohm stable that can be strapped together. Then the total load is 2 ohms stable, 1 to each amp :)

But as many others have said, .5 ohm isn't the best idea because that's not the sweet spot for the amp. you want to run it at its most efficient point. By going down to .5 you are wasting a bunch of energy to create a little more power. That wasted energy is turned into heat. Some amp options on the cheap would be Crescendo and Audioque. I favor crescendo because they rate their amps at 13.8v instead of 14.4 and as an example there BC2000 is 2250w at 13.8 where the AQ is 2200 at 14.4 and the Crescendo was $380 shipped vs $460 shipped if I'm not mistaken. Just my $.02

When you strap amps each amp "sees" half of the ohm load, like bridging a 2 channel amplifier.

An amp which is 1 ohm stable in mono operation will not always be 1 ohm stable strapped, often they need to be run at double the minimum rated stable impedence when strapped.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

• 4 months later...

Does Crescendo still offer the 2 year 0.5ohm warranty? I'm not sure if they ever offered it for the 2k, though. Look into it.

I'd just recone. You'll probably end up needing recones soon anyways. Already more than doubling the rms at 1 ohm, and dropping to 0.5?...yes I know people claim they take 1k...but that's situational. So why take a chance on cooking the amp in the meantime?

Maybe offer someone a trade for 2 D4s?

-98' Ford Expedition (Rest in Peace)

-AVH-P3300BT

-Crescendo BC5500

-4 18" DC m2 Level 3.

Archived