Kenyel Dotts

500amps with 220 alt

14 posts in this topic

Hi i have a 220 amp alt and i am trying to run 500amps on power system. what will i need to make this a every day run audio system?

Depends...do you want to stay ABOVE a certain voltage? If so you are going to need more alternator power...simple enough. However you could probably get away with adding a nice battery bank to help keep the power above operating voltage.

500 amps is a lot of pull. Music is dynamic though so you're not pulling a constant 500A unless you're running a tone for 30 seconds or so. IF you are wanting to be at FULL tilt for extended amounts of time, a second alt o similar aperage, and like stated earlier, batts. I'd do a Group 34 under the hood, and 2-3 Group 31s in the back.

Let me explain further. The oem atl is about 120 amps and i am getting a 220 amp alt. Along with the oem system in my audi a6 ( not to many parts for this car) I am runing a american bass vfl 400.1 (400 amps) a american bass sq 600 ( 50 amp) and factory amp ( idk bose : ) i also have 2 LC2I to run. My thought is that i am at 500 amps or may be more. I plan on getting a d3100 and a d3400 soon. I can say that i do like to listen to my radio at full tilt all day long. but Johny law will not have it. 1/0 gauge in my car nothing less big three and 400 amp breakers X2. What should i do to feed the beast?

definitely a bigger alternator. and maybe 3 d3100's along with the d3400 under the hood.

battery bank and possibly a charging station for night.... just tell people you have a hybrid :rofl:

1 person likes this

How is this determind?

IIRC, aren't Audi's electrical systems different from other manufacturers? I remember trying to jump start my boss' Audi and we were trying to figure out if it was the battery or the alternator that went out. We unplugged the positive battery cable, but it didnt work like normal. Audi's are wired differently. Not sure if this is going to cause an issue with you or not, but thought I'd throw that out there. Plus in his car, the alternator meant he had to remove the front driver's side tire, open up the wheel well, and there was his alternator stuck back in there. I think the battery was back in there too. Make sure you are getting the right equipment since it's an Audi. Not sure if anything has change and like I said, not sure if this will cause you an issue when installing and running a system or not.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now